WW motor removal

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of removing the ww motor from my '62. Its a 2 speed motor with washer. I have the windshield wipers and the louvered upper cowling off. I can't seem to figure out how it is attached to the firewall. I have a repair and assembly manual but I couldn't find anything re. the removal. I see a few small screws in the bottom of the cowling, but there has to be something else that is bigger and stronger. Any advice/direction would be welcomed. Thanks, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Should be 3 small bolts on the wiper motor side. I think they have a 1/4 inch bolt head on them. They go through rubber cushions.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
the wiper motor has 4 philips head(or hex head) screws that are visable on the top of the metal panel under the louvered cowl piece. You can see them
right over the top of the motor in that metal panel. There are holes in the upper panel(above the lower panel) for your removal tools that are right over the 4 screws.
The screws are probably covered with sealer to seal the holes from leaking into the engine compartment-thats why you can't see them. Scrape off the sealer and clean them
to get strong fit for your removal tool- do not strip them out - they can be hard to loosen.
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, maybe 62 is different. Nevermind. :nevermind:D

Thanks Paul. I saw 2 of these screws but they looked kind of small I thought, to be of any significance. Just have to locate the other 2.

Bob, from what I read, '61 and '62 are the same. '63, '64 and '65 are all different, so I will nevermind, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes 61 and 62 the same and 63/64 the same (mounted vertically on firewall)
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just looked at my shop manual again and somehow I missed the section on windshield wiper motor removal, when I first looked. They show a single speed motor and give a narrative as to removal. I'm sure its similar to a 2 speed motor. Going to give it a try tomorrow. If I could also add, my assembly manual has no index. You have to look through the entire book to find what you need if in fact it exist. They have stuff all over the charts. What a PITA. Many thanks all, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
61 & 62 single speed wiper motors have the same 4 mounts like I noted above.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clean the screws off and insert screwdriver, tap firmly with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver before trying to turn the screws.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clean the screws off and insert screwdriver, tap firmly with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver before trying to turn the screws.

Don
Be careful using the hamer to set the philips head you can drive the head of the screw right through. That is how I take the wiper motor out of a parts car.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The assembly manual is organized by the Uniformed Parts (UPC) Code and is presented in the order of assembly.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My '61 had clutch head screws and not Phillips head... Pretty sure they were original judging by the amount of black dum dum covering em up.. :deal
Rick

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Right on, Rick..... I spent some time removing those clutch head wiper motor screws several years ago on a '61 I owned. Someone had tried and failed to remove them before.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just removed my wiper motor. Not a bad job at all. Had 5/16" bolts/screws and they all came out fine. The grounding band broke in two. I forgot it was screwed to the firewall. While trying to unhook the 3 washer lines from the motor, of course one plastic nipple broke. Had to be the one that feeds the unit. I thought I saw that part for sale before and I checked quickly with a few vendors and couldn't find anything. I bench tested this motor as directed by the shop manual. Nothing at all happened. No hum. No slight movement. No effort to move at all. The top where it hooks to the wiper arms will rotate but with much resistance. Guess its time to find a rebuilder, Carmine.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just a not on your brass ground strap, I had to replace mine and a friend suggested going to a Hobby shop, I did, and they had a brass strip 1"x 12",
just right for what you would need. You should be able to see how the old one fit, then just copy that. good luck....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a rebuilder in Minnesota that is reasonable in price and does good work -replaces ground strap with a new one and has parts like the ones mentioned
They also replate the parts that were plated and clean the unit.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a rebuilder in Minnesota that is reasonable in price and does good work -replaces ground strap with a new one and has parts like the ones mentioned
They also replate the parts that were plated and clean the unit.

Paul

Perfect Paul. Thank you. I have to send it someplace. Can you give me is name/number and I'll make contact with him. A pm or do you want my email address?? I think you might have that already. Thanks again, Carmine.