WW motor removal

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul. That "wiperstore" you mentioned, I also saw that they were "closed, on vacation by owner", or something like that. Before posting anything, I also looked at "wiperworks" and sent them an email. This was 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything yet. I asked about price. Not sure that is a good sign, Carmine.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
check out Willcox Corvette they have repair videos. they also repair parts. i am sure they are not cheap. jim

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I still think my motor took a crap, but I still have a question. Guess I'm trying to understand the electrical connections to the motor. On my motor, not counting the ground, there are 6 different wires that run to it. Two are in a harness that go to the washer unit and 4 go to the main body. Three of these are in a harness by themselves and the other one is by itself that has a connector on the end. This wire is red in color (unknown if original or not) and it shares the middle post on the motor with the 3 wire harness. They are at a 90 degree angle to each other. With the ignition off, there is no current to any of these wires. With the ignition on, there is current to this single red wire which also feeds the center post on the motor. The dash wiper switch is in the off position. Current still flows. I can turn the switch to low or high and the current isn't affected. So its my understanding that this red hot wire feeds the motor and the current inside gets distributed to the various wires controlled by the dash switch. Would that be correct?? The reason I asked this and did some checking is because I wanted to make sure the motor was getting current before sending it out. Apparently it is. Posted 2 pics, one of which is my broken washer part. Just a quick follow up, why are these motors so expensive to either buy and/or especially repair?? I can almost rebuild an engine for what they want. Thank you, Carmine.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 31

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It's just, another part of the Auto Restoration Experience, Carmine.:doh Electrical devices and problems, intimidate most people. Rebuilder's know, how much trouble it is, to keep the motor brushes intact, while closing the motor. $$$$$$ for them.:bang

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
check out Willcox Corvette they have repair videos. they also repair parts. i am sure they are not cheap. jim

I went to this site. Quite interesting. I saw their schematic on how to bench test a wiper motor. Went out to the garage and tried mine. Got a tiny arc/spark when I touched the final hook up wire. Its definitely had it. I did take the gear drive area apart. There was a greenish/blue soft, pliable grease around the gear. Nothing hard and everything moved but with resistance. Checked a few vendors for what might be available, and Ecklers has a rebuilt for $441.00 plus $240.00 core charge. OUCH. I'm thinking about selling them my old one outright and buy a case of Rainex, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This link is to a company owned by Danny Howell (Southeast Chevy Parts) the original owner of Classic Chevy (founder) and Late Great Chevys Quality persons and company. The wiper motor exchange is $385 so not cheap but very nice rebuild with new parts plating etc.

http://www.southeastchevyparts.com/...or-with-Washer-Pump-Re-manufactured_p_19.html

I have some very nice parts from them including a 62 Chevy convertible back seat (2 pieces ) perfect conversion from a Hardtop seat.
Paul

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had mine done in 2007 by The Wiper Works... It was around $220.00 then, sent mine and they rebuilt it, still works good and seemed a lot cheaper than the rebuilt ones with the core..
Rick

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I still think my motor took a crap, but I still have a question. Guess I'm trying to understand the electrical connections to the motor. On my motor, not counting the ground, there are 6 different wires that run to it. Two are in a harness that go to the washer unit and 4 go to the main body. Three of these are in a harness by themselves and the other one is by itself that has a connector on the end. This wire is red in color (unknown if original or not) and it shares the middle post on the motor with the 3 wire harness. They are at a 90 degree angle to each other. With the ignition off, there is no current to any of these wires. With the ignition on, there is current to this single red wire which also feeds the center post on the motor. The dash wiper switch is in the off position. Current still flows. I can turn the switch to low or high and the current isn't affected. So its my understanding that this red hot wire feeds the motor and the current inside gets distributed to the various wires controlled by the dash switch. Would that be correct?? The reason I asked this and did some checking is because I wanted to make sure the motor was getting current before sending it out. Apparently it is. Posted 2 pics, one of which is my broken washer part. Just a quick follow up, why are these motors so expensive to either buy and/or especially repair?? I can almost rebuild an engine for what they want. Thank you, Carmine.

The center terminal is the 12 volt supply. The 90 degree terminal is piggy backed on the center terminal so it acts like a splice. The two outside terminals are grounded to control which speed the motor runs at. Both grounded (blue and black) run the low speed, blue grounded and black not give high speed. It is all explained in the 1961 shop manual on page 9-76. With those high prices and your mention of looking for a winter project, I would bench test, disassemble and trouble shoot your motor. It is all detailed on pages 9-66 through 9-84. Best case is you find something simple like a broken wire or solder joint. Otherwise you can put it back together and pay someone else to fix it. In the end you get to learn something for free and maybe save yourself some serious dough!