X frame

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 11
You're probably right. I know I had a hell of a time getting it out and putting the new one in. I put an extra plate on the new one. Thought I remembered rivets on the one I took out, but I wouldn't argue that one.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You're probably right. I know I had a hell of a time getting it out and putting the new one in. I put an extra plate on the new one. Thought I remembered rivets on the one I took out, but I wouldn't argue that one.
I’ve been wrong before. It’s feasible that after setting pinion angle at the factory after 1960 they could have used rivets. I can’t think of any reason why one would have to change pinion angle after it had been set? I’ve been under enough 60’s that I can assure you the bracket is bolted. Can’t say for other years.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
So, someone please tell me what idiot at GM, designed the "X" frame on '58-'64 cars. Not that it matters anymore, but what a terrible idea in my opinion. I was just out in the garage and tried to put my '62 on my 2 post lift. What a royal pain in the ass, this is. You have to be lined up perfectly for the lift arms to meet portions of the X frame. I never am. So, I have to jack it up and put skates under the wheels to position it properly. I have to do this almost every time. Even then, the arms barely reach the lifting points. This X frame nonsense must not have been too brilliant an idea. It only lasted 7 years thank God, Carmine.
See what you started. Ain't this the best place to hang out. Kinda like hanging out at the Bar. :cloud

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I ripped one off of frame in my 60 impala. Tore a giant piece of the crossmember out. A gent that I knew (Archie Reynolds’s ornamental iron) replaced the entire crossmember with heavy weight “stuff” car ran and rode like new!
What were the circumstances that led to the failure? Was this a drag strip car, high horse power, stick, auto? I have a vested interest.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 60 Impala I spoke about was actually my Fathers car, it ripped out back in about 1965. 348/slip and slide. That weak suck 348 couldn't even scratch the tires unless you did a neutral-drop in in gear start, ask me how I know. I wasn't driving it yet when this happened.