X frame

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 11
The cross member was welded to the frame and the bracket that the control arm is bolted to was bolted to the crossmember with shims under it to set the pinion angle. I ripped one out back in the day and tore big holes in my frame. I went to Chevrolet and bought a new crossmember and had to do a lot of repair to fix the frame.
THIS

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The choice to "not" include the driver side upper arm for a correct restoration should not be an issue for a street driven car with reasonable size radial or bias ply tires. The problem rarely raised its ugly head in the day unless you had a knuckle head like me driving a high horse four speed 09 car and side stepping the clutch. Add sticky tires, a bad attitude and the outcome is inevitable.
Plus..he was "carrying " if you know what I mean!!!!!

The 59-64 Olds/Pontiac 9.3 rear is widely considered one of the strongest factory rears after the Mopar dana 60 and ahead of the Ford 9"(the ford enjoys more aftermarket support and in the custom fabricated version is probably stronger).The 57-58's with 29 spline axles is slightly weaker than the later 31 spline versions.They were very popular upgrades to race tri-5's,Henry's made 31 spline axles to allow 31 spline 3rd members to be bolted into 57 pontiac housings which were evidently a bolt in to tri-5's.I'm surprised they weren't more commonly used as upgrades in 409 cars,are Pontiac/olds coil spring rears not a direct bolt into coil spring chevy's?One anomaly on these is the 59 and possibly 60 Olds was still leaf spring versus everybody else being coil spring at that time.