X frame

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The connection is basically the same on the 65's, and they too are bolted with shims to set angle. I too cracked my crossmember at the control arm. While we didn't use a bracing like Cecil has posted, we did weld a 3/8" plate on each side in preparation for the extra arm and 12 bolt.

IMG_1235 (2).JPG

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back in 96 or so I had a 65 convertible with the single upper 10 bolt and managed to rip the frame apart at that mount, worst feeling ever as the car looked a little mexi as it dropped the back way down and ripped part of my new exhaust off!

Junky

Well Known Member
Does the second arm allow you to remove the panhard bar completely? I have no real experience with the x frame rear suspension. What is the advantage of using a Pontiac rear over the original Chevrolet rear? What about using one from a Buick or Oldsmobile?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Junky asks: "What is the advantage of using a Pontiac rear over the original Chevrolet rear? What about using one from a Buick or Oldsmobile?"

The Pontiac rear end from around 1959 to 1962 is a very stout design that is an improvement over what Chevrolet put in place back in the day.

Not sure about the exact years, and not sure if Olds and Buick were similar designs in that era.

A lot of old racers put the Poncho rear end in place back in the day. And today, new internal parts are readily available, although they can be a bit spendy...

Cheers! TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Does the second arm allow you to remove the panhard bar completely? I have no real experience with the x frame rear suspension. What is the advantage of using a Pontiac rear over the original Chevrolet rear? What about using one from a Buick or Oldsmobile?
Later GM trailing arm suspension systems were triangulated and were able to chuck the panard bar. It's all in the geometry.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have been running a single arm and the Global West braces with no issues. I put both braces on and drilled the driver side in case I ever want to add the second arm, but I don't see any reason at this time.