Yeah......no prep

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know much, but that "Street O****w no prep stuff does not really reflect drag racing for me. I am no racer by any stretch; most I ever did was run 1/8th miles at Coastal Plains Dragway in Jacksonville, NC. I had an 87 mustang LX, 5.0. Did some things to it, would go out on Friday nights with my Marine buddies; the crew. 1st pass, a high school Vocational tech teacher; nice man. He had a 91 mustang. Pretty humbling as he walked away! Then he came over with his students, gave us some pointers and we kept improving. Now that was racing; I was only 23 at the time. Next pass was faster; but a pinto wagon blew my doors off. It was simple heads up run what you brung. It was fun, best part was realizing how little I knew and how every part of the car has to be working togther. I thought drag racing was intended for average guys like me. I really like watching Southern Gassers association on you tube, the original drag racing captured on super 8 from all over the country. Like old stock cars. I still believe tune ups should require a great ear, timing light, vacuum gauge and patience. I use computers every day in repairing marine diesel and gasoline engines. However the ECU don't tell you everything, sometimes nothing at all. I am fortunate to have been exposed to all the "salts" that taught me the ins and outs of carbs, breaker ignition, basic machine work and proper diagnostics. But tuning with a computer? Really??? Come on...
I was at a no prep event a couple weeks ago. My engine guy was there and said, "What are you doing here? All these cars have computers!"

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I asked for help on here just to make a couple passes in my 62. Got all kinds of great advice from the "salts." I have one thing left to do; put in the vintage blow proof bell housing I was fortunate to obtain from one of the "salts" on here. I was told by Pop, "there are no stupid questions, only the one you did not ask!"

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What our veteran members should do is take the time to reminisce on camera, seriously saving the heritage of the 50's & 60's, cars, girls, drive ins, real drag racing, growing up when these cars were new. My father is 80, his first new car was a 1962 Impala. First time I saw one in person I was 15. That was 38 years ago. I realized how crappy looking new cars were then; they are much worse now!