Yeah......no prep

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Seems the videos have been removed everywhere. I did see one grainy clip where it appeared the 2 guys were actually standing on the road where the flashlight marked the finish line. Not that it changes anything but is very odd if true.

We street raced a lot in Austin back in the 80's but a fast car back then ran a 10 second quarter mile. We also raced in BFE not in business parks.

George Klass

Well Known Member
Ya need to know how to drive! Just sayin...

In my opinion, no prep drag racing is just plain stupid. And as far as "driving", once the car gets that loose, there is no "drving", the car is going to go where it wants to go. In listening to the video, it appears to me that the driver got back into it after it got loose, and THIS action is what really caused the car to cross the line the first time and go into the wall on the left side of the track. After that little love tap, there was no "driving" the car, it was a goner. Hint for drivers of fast cars: Once it gets loose, get out of it and do NOT get back into it. (A), you are probably not going to be able to catch the car in the other lane anyway, and (B), you have a great chance of wrecking your car. Watch the video; when the car got loose, that was not the fault of the driver (other than making the choice to run on a non-prepped track). But as soon as he felt that the car recoverd (which it hadn't), he got back into it, and in my opinion, that made the crash happen, meaning, driver error. And I suspect that the driver knows it, too...

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don't know much, but that "Street O****w no prep stuff does not really reflect drag racing for me. I am no racer by any stretch; most I ever did was run 1/8th miles at Coastal Plains Dragway in Jacksonville, NC. I had an 87 mustang LX, 5.0. Did some things to it, would go out on Friday nights with my Marine buddies; the crew. 1st pass, a high school Vocational tech teacher; nice man. He had a 91 mustang. Pretty humbling as he walked away! Then he came over with his students, gave us some pointers and we kept improving. Now that was racing; I was only 23 at the time. Next pass was faster; but a pinto wagon blew my doors off. It was simple heads up run what you brung. It was fun, best part was realizing how little I knew and how every part of the car has to be working togther. I thought drag racing was intended for average guys like me. I really like watching Southern Gassers association on you tube, the original drag racing captured on super 8 from all over the country. Like old stock cars. I still believe tune ups should require a great ear, timing light, vacuum gauge and patience. I use computers every day in repairing marine diesel and gasoline engines. However the ECU don't tell you everything, sometimes nothing at all. I am fortunate to have been exposed to all the "salts" that taught me the ins and outs of carbs, breaker ignition, basic machine work and proper diagnostics. But tuning with a computer? Really??? Come on...