Yet another cam question...

Hi, all. I've been somewhat lurking in here for a while now, but have never posted. I originally came in here to learn about the W-motors shortly after buying my El Camino that came with a 348. I drove it, parked it and am now in the middle of freshening up the engine so I can get it back on the road. I know ZERO about building engines, but have learned a ton by reading up on them recently. My biggest thing currently is what cam to go with. I want a little lope and realize that the stock 9.5-1 pistons limit cam selections. I've narrowed it down to the 0950 cam from Show Cars or the 150291 cam from Crane Cams. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It'll be a street cruiser, here's what I'll be running:

1960 El Camino
700R4 trans
379 heads
All internals are standard size.
Engine came with 4 bbl Rochester, but I am going with a 3x2 setup
Stock 9.5-1 pistons
Not sure what rear gears it has as it's in storage and I haven't been able to check. It is a posi, though. That's all the info I have on the rear at the moment.

Welcome. Much knowledge here.
Thanks. Yup, lots of info in here. I stayed up last night till almost 3 reading cam-related postings in here and my little guy woke me up at 7:30 this morning, HA HA! I've asked other 348-questions elsewhere and all roads point to this page. Now that I'm getting this ol' El Camino back on the road, I look forward to hanging out in here more often and learning about the W-motors.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
First welcome aboard!
For cam information, I trust Don. In spite of this, another good option is go to the web site of your favorite cam manufacturer. All the good ones have a form you can fill out and identify the characteristics (vehicle weight, desired use, induction, engine, bore, stroke, lope, etc) you want from a cam. After you submit the form, they'll send back a profile/recommendation. Note, this isn't a commitment to buy from them, rather an opportunity for them to show they can meet your needs with custom lift, duration, etc.
If you go this route, post what they suggest and we'll (ok, Don) will give feedback.
I did this for my 431/348 with Bullit Cams and went with their recommendation. I don't think the cost was much more than going with a "canned" or existing solution. I know Don liked the suggestion and the feedback was all around good so I went with it.

Let us know which route you go and have fun!

First welcome aboard!
For cam information, I trust Don. In spite of this, another good option is go to the web site of your favorite cam manufacturer. All the good ones have a form you can fill out and identify the characteristics (vehicle weight, desired use, induction, engine, bore, stroke, lope, etc) you want from a cam. After you submit the form, they'll send back a profile/recommendation. Note, this isn't a commitment to buy from them, rather an opportunity for them to show they can meet your needs with custom lift, duration, etc.
If you go this route, post what they suggest and we'll (ok, Don) will give feedback.
I did this for my 431/348 with Bullit Cams and went with their recommendation. I don't think the cost was much more than going with a "canned" or existing solution. I know Don liked the suggestion and the feedback was all around good so I went with it.

Let us know which route you go and have fun!
Thank you, I'll try that as well.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just be aware that when ordering a cam for this combo that 218 degrees at .050 is right at the maximum that you can use without flycutting the pistons for clearance in these engines.That 0950 is right there and has a nice noticeable lope at a low idle speed,isn't hard on fuel,and makes great low-mid range torque.It is also very responsive to the accelerator pedal movement making this thing FUN to drive on a dry street.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
You just reminded me of something, Dave, when you mentioned wet street.:doh You Tube ""WTF Moments Caught On Camera" I couldn't believe my eye's.:laugh:roll:laugh2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,the springs and pushrods have to match anytime you do a cam change.If your engines original rockers are in good shape,you'll be able to use them with that cam.DO NOT attempt to use the aftermarket stock rockers,they're JUNK,even on a stock cam and springs.:deal

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate every bit of it. How about the Show Cars 0921 Isky cam? Anyone have any info/opinion or used that one? It has less duration at .050 than the 0950 Comp cam (0.208 vs 0.218) and less lift so I'm maybe thinking it might work better in my setup. Basically, I just want a cam the closest to the stock cam that was in there, but with a little lope at idle. I emailed Bullet Cams and am awaiting for them to get back to me with their suggestion...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The sound didn't come thru.:dunnoAs far as that Isky goes,it won't make anything like the overall torque,and power of the 0950,and it has a smooth idle[sounds like a station wagon motor].