Yet another cam question...

In picture 9902...there looks like a crack in the head at the exhaust valve. I hope I'm seeing things...
It was pointed out to me that one of the heads had an old crack that was fixed in the past. He said he put some kind of chemical agent on it to re-seal it up. Saw that crack when I took the pic.

That's kinda what I thought too James. Hope they were pressure checked to see if they leak or not around them seats.
I remember him saying they were pressure checked and passed, didn't know that's what it was for. Again, I'm green at any internal engine stuff, but I'm learning a TON in here and doing internet searches.

wristpin

Well Known Member
It was pointed out to me that one of the heads had an old crack that was fixed in the past. He said he put some kind of chemical agent on it to re-seal it up. Saw that crack when I took the pic.
If there's some chemical agent that seals up cracked cast iron it's sure news to me. I would take that head to another machine shop and have them give me a second opinion.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I love this forum...
When anyone asks a question, they are always hoping for good (not expensive) news:pray, not always what you get here
This site is honest, considerate and accurate information
Every reply on here has a reason, whether it be best practice, considered opinion or from experience you will get what you asked answered
How you choose to use that information is up to you
awesome.:appl

Steve

I love this forum...
When anyone asks a question, they are always hoping for good (not expensive) news:pray, not always what you get here
This site is honest, considerate and accurate information
Every reply on here has a reason, whether it be best practice, considered opinion or from experience you will get what you asked answered
How you choose to use that information is up to you
awesome.:appl

Steve
Well, considering that my original plan was to degrease the engine, replace all the gaskets, add a new coat of paint on it and throw it back in, I'd say I'm still looking to save a buck every chance I can since I'm already into it over $1,000 and I still need to spend another $1,500 to get it to where it's going back in my El Camino. I know, I know; it's a W-motor, so nothing is cheap on it. I'll take some of the good advice I got here and use it now and eventually use the rest of it. This will be an occasional cruiser that will see maybe 500 miles a year and will putt around town when it's seeing those miles. I am keeping an eye out for some reasonably priced 333 heads, preferably local, and like the 409 crank idea, so one of those too.