Yup

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I love taking my wife to the junk yard with me. She is always so interested in the different makes and models. I'll try and point out any interesting pieces of history on the cars or reasons to avoid pintos and the like. Its fun. She always finds some piece of engine or something she wants to drag home because she thinks its interesting. I have a large box and a bucket full of my wifes interesting finds. LOL! I can't wait to take my boys, should be a fun family outing.

Junky

Well Known Member
I remember when the Chevelle was introduced to the motoring public, and there were 1930's & 1940's cars in the junk yards, and some even had cars from the 1920's and some from the 1950's, but not that many compared to the others. Those were the days, when you could walk into a Chevrolet dealer looking for trim for your 1955 Chevrolet, and being the car was 4 years old, people thought of them as worn out, and the dealers just wanted to unload everything that they had. I bought a NOS continental kit from the dealer for $50, and they were happy to get it out of there. The first old car that I bought was a 1926 Buick Master Country Club Coupe Model 54C. The local Buick dealer had lots of obsolete parts for it on the second floor. I only bought what I needed for my car, but he wanted to see everything to me. Back then, not many people thought much about old cars as a hobby, but only as inexpensive transportation.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Hunting old junkyards is a great way to spend a saturday. There's 1 ninety minutes north of me, really picked over but you can still find useable parts. I remember going in the 70's to find parts for my 55. Great times, wish there were more places like that around.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My home town still has a pretty good selection of older cars because the owner is a classic car collector himself. One of the buildings there has 25 very nice classics tucked inside. I talked him into bringing his 1 of 1 Shelby 1000 to the DesMoines Concours. I was in charge of driving the thing 5 blocks to get it ready for the big show downtown DSM. It was so loud at 630am on a Sunday that I think I woke GOD himself. 1000hp on the street should be outlawed. It was NUTS!

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can find some cool stuff snooping around old farm sites too, just gotta make sure you know who's it is and they don't mind you nosing around or you could end up with 4 shot in your ass. I have found some neat stuff over the years and not all of it automotive. I like old seed corn, feed and other ag signs and have found some nice ones here and there. Used to be the guy would just tell you to take them but now they have figured out they are worth something so most have been "harvested" already.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes sir I do.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, when I went to work at my first elevator in 1979 I remember telling the short one it's something to do until I can find something better. 42 years and 5 elevators later..............still looking.
Not a bad idea. Might have to give that a try.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I always wanted to go up the manlift in an elevator. I had permission several times, but didn't dare with the grain dust allergies that I have.:)

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always wanted to go up the manlift in an elevator. I had permission several times, but didn't dare with the grain dust allergies that I have.:)
It is a good view from up there but if you don't get along with dust probably not a good idea.
I brought my youngest son to work with me years back to help with some fun stuff like clean out the boot pit and such. He worked hard at it but after a couple hours I had to send him to the office cause he was wheezing (even though he was wearing a mask) and his eyes looked like two pee holes in the snow. Figured out he had allergies as well, no elevator career for him.