Z-11 AIR CLEANER NEED SOME INFO

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A little off subject but, where is the pcv valve getting its air flow from? I don't see a breather in the valve covers.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's a great question. Guess I got ahead of myself on that one. I usually weld in a nipple on the rear to line up sort of close to the breather hole on the Edelbrock intakes. Gotta add that to the to do list now, before final paint.

Should I weld in the nipple on the rear or up front(on the underside of course)?

Another question I have is should I paint the firewall flange white or leave it black? I have seen several photos of a white firewall flange on original Z11s. They look like they might have been fiberglass originally?

As always, everyone's comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, the air cleaner is finished. Here are the pictures.100_2964.JPG 100_2964.JPG 100_2962.JPG 100_2963.JPG 100_2966.JPG 100_2967.JPG 100_2968.JPG Had to get a shot with Mike's Bubble top in the background.

This is for sale, hard to put a price on it but I'm asking $450.00 plus shipping. This one fits Edelbrock carbs. I can make to fit original smaller carbs and single quad Edelbrock or Smaller original 4 3/8"(?) carb. Includes a K&N air filter. They can be painted gloss or semi gloss black or white(possibly any common color also).100_2954.JPG

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys! It takes a little more than four hours to make. I just try and charge what I think is a fair price for my air cleaners. Kind of like selling a restored car, you probably will never get out of it what you spent restoring it. :):dunno

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have been looking for a larger diameter air filter element so I am able to drop the air cleaner down further on the carburetors. The K & N filter I am using now is approximately 14" inside dia. and 3 1/4" tall, which works very well with a stock or Edelbrock intake with up to 1/2 carb spacers. Does anyone know what the dimensions were for an original Z11 air filter element? Or did they even use a filter?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim.................sorry to be late in getting back with you. The Z-11 filter was a round metal mesh with foam around it to filter the air. Give me a couple of days and I'll get a picture of what it looked like. But I don't think that will help you...........you will need to find a commercially available filter to fit the dimensions of the air cleaner you are building. Give me 'till next week.
Phil

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Phil! I was wondering what was used in the Z11 air cleaner. I guess it makes sense that they used the mesh and foam. A paper element would probably be too restrictive. I'm thinking the measurement I would need would be the inner diameter of where an air filter might seat in the base if it had one, if that makes sense.

P.S, as long as you're measuring Phil, could you check the width of the snorkel opening?

Thank you!

Last edited:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I have been looking for a larger diameter air filter element so I am able to drop the air cleaner down further on the carburetors. The K & N filter I am using now is approximately 14" inside dia. and 3 1/4" tall, which works very well with a stock or Edelbrock intake with up to 1/2 carb spacers. Does anyone know what the dimensions were for an original Z11 air filter element? Or did they even use a filter?
Jim , I took a look in my garage and I found 2 air cleaner elements. Part # AFP 30 that measure 13 3/4 " inside diameter and 3 1/4 " tall. I had them on Fee-Bay a while back.The AC # is A-85 C which is for a dual quad Buick 401 engine I believe. They are N.O,S and have some surface dust.You can have them for the ride to you if you want.
Send me a PM if interested. send me you'r address please with your ZIP.
K9
:crazy:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Jim I have what you may need.The site will not let me post an answer to your message , so i'm posting it here.I told you you could havwe the fileter for the cost of the ride.Approx 3 pounds from 11727 to 18436 would cost $7.35 Priority mail to you. If that is OK you can pay pal me:crazy:cheers

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I am starting to build a few air cleaners including one to fit this set up that showed up at the shop last week, an original Z11 intake/ carbs. 100_2991.JPG I started by making this set up to verify the fit under hood.100_2989.JPG The Z11 is quite a bit taller than the regular dual quad, this jig will bring mine up to the same height as the Z11. Now with all of the measurements of an actual Z11 air cleaner, the fun begins.