Z-11 and Mystery Motor Camshafts

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yep, pretty much what Phil said!!

Really meant so very much to me.

What he’s not telling you is why I had to sell all of my stuff to begin with!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have 2 different MM cams.

I think one was for either the 396 cu in or the 409 cu in MM.

Bill Howell, the engineer on the project told me the 396 made more HP, but since 427 was the Daytona max number theybwent

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So which MM do you have Pat? 427? And are the other displacement MM's floating around in a collection somewhere or did chevrolet destroy them?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
So which MM do you have Pat? 427? And are the other displacement MM's floating around in a collection somewhere or did chevrolet destroy them?

I don’t believe any of the 396-409’s were ever released to Daytona. According to Bill Howell they changed to 427 when that became the number NASCAR decided to go with. The 396-409’s were part of the experimental development. They only had a few months to come up with the final plan.
I have often wondered if the other cam I have is either another grind for the 427 or one for the 396-409.
Another Chevrolet mystery.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
One more thing!!!!! I flew out to meet a customer. The customer had a friend there that the 3 of us were talking about 409's and Z-11's. In the conversation, said friend said that "an average gear head can't restore a Z-11 anymore!!!!!! I just about hit the roof!!!!!! I told him average gear heads DON'T RESTORE Z-11'S!!!!!!!!! Can't say anymore publicly!!!!!!!!!!! This was in the late 80's.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The late 64 and 65 400 and up 409 were supposed to be the same cam as the 63 Z-11 hence the 583 heads.The "Resto" grinds are different,some more than others .

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Thanks for this great info Pat. I remember Dick Keinath saying the first run Mystery Motor cam made less HP on the dyno then the W 409, and put his team to work on it ASAP due to some of asymmetry volume of the early cast mystery heads. Those cams were reground or destroyed. I'm sure that 0- cast cam saw Nascar action. When he worked with Jr Johnson later in his years it was his job to fit a BBC cam into a small block to prevent cam failures on the Super Speedways.

Attachments

• MYSTERY29.jpg
    MYSTERY29.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 45
  • MYSTERY59.jpg
    MYSTERY59.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45