Z-11 cars, where are they?

FS560

Well Known Member
Have all 57 of the Z-11 cars been accounted for and their current location or demise been determined?

bobs409

Administrator
Great post! Those that know the existence of any Z-11's should post here. We'll make our own account of what's left. :)

All I ever heard was that there are only 7 known to have survived but I have a feeling there are more. Lets see...

dadz409

Z-11 cars???

I suspect that there are more than 7 Z-11 cars left, there are 3, maybe 4 owned by a single owner in Heber City, Utah. One is susposed to have less than 1000 miles and has the plastic shipping cover still on the seats. There was another at Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale year before last, and half a dozen museums have Z-11's cars. Problem is that these cars were produced to race, many had engines blown, some may have been converted to street cars. It would be nice to have a Z-11 registry, but I don't think you would ever get all that exist. Another problem would be counterfeit cars, there have been several on Ebay. It's fun to dream though, about finding one. Gary

There's a book being written on the Z-11 right now. The author has done exhaustive work on who got the originals, and where they ended up. Not only were engines blown up but the delicate aluminum front end pieces couldn't be replaced, when they got dinged and damaged the car was dismantled and rebuilt. How many are left original with original engines. ?. How many are left with non-oringal motors. ?. How many were made up from parts. ?. I know where there's a restored one within 10 miles of me. And I know there's a top half around me too. There are more "Z-11's" out there than people think.

Rich64SS

Well Known Member
I think I saw one at the place where I stored my Impala in the fall. The guy said it was a real z11. I didn't get to look at it very closely though. It was maroon. But, I could have sworn it was a '62. I'll try to get the guy(his name is Barry ) to show up here.

M

MK IISS

In my opinion there is no such thing as a '62 Z11, at least by the option code Z11. In 1962 the regular production option (RPO) and limited production option (LPO) codes were a number only. There was no alphabetical letter. For example the 1962 option code for positraction was 675. The 1963 positraction option code was G80. To my knowledge 1963 was the first year an alphabetical letter and a number were joined for option codes. Therefore we have the RPO option code Z11 in 1963.

I'm not arguing the point that there was or was not factory built '62s with the aluminum body panels. Some say yes. Some say no, the aluminum parts had to be ordered from the parts dept. and were owner/dealer installed. I just don't know. I never saw a 1962 factory installed RPO number. If there was such an order # I think it would have been just a number without a letter. It would be interesting to know what the 1962 part # for the aluminum front end, etc. was in the parts dept. For those who claim there was a RPO or LPO option code for '62 factory built cars with the aluminium panels, produce the option code.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aluminum components

Richard asks: "For those who claim there was a RPO or LPO option code for '62 factory built cars with the aluminium panels, produce the option code."

Damn the code, get me the parts!

All kidding aside, those of you who come to KC will get to meet Donnie Shaffer and his brother Tony, of Day Automotive. One day I had called Donnie on the phone (inquiring about a block) and in converation I mentioned a certain 1962 SS owned by Willie Wagner out of Kansas. Donnie mentioned that he had been working on fabricating an aluminum hood from stock for a certain restoration of a '62 aluminum fronted car. Amazing! I can't even get a factory stock steel hood to fit right on my resto, and this guy is making one from scratch? Wonder who's vehicle that is, and whether it'll be in KC this September???

Best
TomK

M

MK IISS

Tom "Get Me The Parts" Kochtanek:

Do you know if the '62 Alum. front end also included the bumper? On Fords it was easy to tell because they were not chrome plated, just natural aluminum.