Z-11 engine parts specs (?)

409Kid

Well Known Member
I am now the owner of a Z-11 but need the following lengths and specs of needed top end items.

Intake valve length
Exhaust length

Head bolts long length
Head bolts short length

Screw in studs (Both ends). Length

Push rods int length
Push rods exh length

Are the spring retainers different than HP 409?
Are the springs different than HP 409?

Springs. Inner/outer specs:
Coil Diameter
Number of coils.
Installed height
Seat pressure
At lift pressure

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I am now the owner of a Z-11 but need the following lengths and specs of needed top end items.

Intake valve length
Exhaust length

Head bolts long length
Head bolts short length

Screw in studs (Both ends). Length

Push rods int length
Push rods exh length

Are the spring retainers different than HP 409?
Are the springs different than HP 409?

Springs. Inner/outer specs:
Coil Diameter
Number of coils.
Installed height
Seat pressure
At lift pressure

409Kid

Well Known Member
I’ve been on the Z-11 page. It doesn’t tell me the info I’m asking for. I am missing the items and want to make sure I get all the engine pieces together that are tossed in unmarked bins. That’s why I need the lengths. Hoping someone may have the info handy or loose bits they can measure for me.

409Kid

Well Known Member
For the moment what I want are the specs in the OP. I want to make sure I get all the original bits that haven’t been accounted for and are part of the sale.

I will start a new thread to bring you all up to speed sometime next week once I get everything home. I want to do some sleuthing to be sure of my facts before I go public.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So you probably need to have someone who knows 348-409 engines in your area to look it over for you based on your questions. I don't own a Z11 engine but I have dozens of 348-409 engines and could identify and label all of your parts in just a few minutes. Do any of our members live near you? Have them look it over.

409Kid

Well Known Member
I am moderately well versed on 409s. I’ve forgotten more than I remember. But I’m not where the Z-11 parts are and unable to assist firsthand. That is why I’m asking for the information to help them locate everything. It’s easier to tell them what to look for than what not to look for.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am moderately well versed on 409s. I’ve forgotten more than I remember. But I’m not where the Z-11 parts are and unable to assist firsthand. That is why I’m asking for the information to help them locate everything. It’s easier to tell them what to look for than what not to look for.
Roger that. I would seriously lay all of the small pieces out on a bench like this old 409 ad. Don't let the clutter in boxes confuse you. That way you can match up parts and pieces in groups. Then you will clearly be able to see what you are missing along with which parts you need to do more research on. If you intend on building the girl and bring it back to life, then all "wear parts" should be replaced. In these engines, that includes rods, head/main cap bolts at the very least. Don't be too worried about the little parts too because the condition of your intake, heads, block are the most important. If those are cracked or damaged from setting around, then the little parts will be irrelevant. Getting valves, push rods, springs or any other small part isn't hard. Cracked block/ heads could turn the race motor into an expensive art piece. Spread those pieces out on a table and group them up. Easier said then done I know, I rarely get to lay out my parts like I should. You should probably go ahead and change the name of this main post when you are ready to chat more about your project. Keeping all of your questions/answers in one location on this project is no different then those parts in boxes. Scatter them out over different posts and you will loose track of important details and contacts. I am certain many of our best and brightest have reached out to you with their contact information.
1964_Chevrolet_409_V8_Ad_2C_try_this%22_Print_Ads_a5f0f9bf-4d89-44be-ae64-f8d49220b34d.jpg
engine layed out.jpg

409Kid

Well Known Member
I got some of the information yesterday through Dick MacKenzie.

Still looking for head bolt and push rod lengths if anyone has bits and pieces loose. It would be a tremendous help.

We have located all the flash chromed rocker arms with the “0” stamping.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m still looking for head bolt and push rod lengths. Anyone have these loos laying around in their stashes?
You aren't going to run factory pieces are you? Just run a piece of all thread down the hole and determine how long you need. You will likely want to run ARP Head studs and nuts anyway. Use an adjustable pushrod from show-cars.com part number 6357 to measure for the correct length. So few of these engines around, I'm certain those who have built them most likely did the same. :dunno