Z-11 Project

bobs409

Administrator
Z-11 water pumps

Originally posted by Phil Reed
Here are the 2 water pumps I had rebuilt. One is dated jan. 15, 1963 and the other is Jan. 16, 1963!!

Of course, the Z-11 water pumps are aluminum. They are kinda rare too!!!:D :D

Phil,

Do these have the winters foundry mark (snowflake) on them? I thought the aluminum Z-11 pumps were made there. ?

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Originally posted by Phil Reed

Yes Bob and Wrench.......you don't need to ask!!!!

Phil,

Does this mean what I think it does? Can I use some of these pics on this site? PleasePleasePlease? :D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
PERMISSION??????

Bob:

I will need a release signed by you in order to do what you want to do.

Having said that, the third week of September here would be a perfect time to do that!!!!!!:deal I would need to watch you sign in person just to make sure!!!!:D :D

If you want to go ahead and post the pictures, you have to "promise" on a set of 690 heads that you will be here for the Convention to sign my release!!!!

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Phil, your photographs should help a lot of people understand the parts involved in a Z11. Is the oil pan one that had a deeper sump added and the sides (leaded) recountered to make it look like one piece? I have one of them from GM engineering. The other question, where were the carburetors redone? I will talk to you soon, (I am really getting busy right now) I am having my Pontiac photographs scanned to see if I can get them in a gallery. See ya, TS

bobs409

Administrator
Phil,

Maybe if you move this event further east. :D Im afraid, it's too far for me. A long trip for me is about 30 miles. :p I do expect lots of pics from everyone though.

Where is the 2nd annual 348-409 convention going to be held? Maybe a different location each year to give everyone a chance to attend? (I can hear it now- ;) )

Bob

AG409SS

Phil,

I have a couple of questions. Do you know what the actual overall length of the intake valves are? I know they are supposed to be longer, but I'm not not sure what was actually original/correct from Chevrolet.
Also, I've noticed on intakes that I have that the later casting has a firing order incorrectly cast in

as 18463572, and the earlier one has the firing order as 8436572. Are these typical, or do I have a couple of goofy 3830623 castings?

Don

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Phil
Thanks for posting all these pics. It is a great chance for those of us that never get anywhere near this stuff, to learn about and appreciate what was in a Z-11 engine. The comparison of Z-11 to standard heads was really a great way to present this.
Thanks a heap
Gar

Phil: YOU DA MAN!> Your posting of the excellant pictures explain MUCH more than pure words could say alone. Put me own as THANKS A LOT!.

Forgot, what's the going price for a set of these heads?. And I agree, someone should be able to re-po these given how easy it seems to be (I've got a set of factory 583 blue prints around here somewhere). But I would think with todays CAD/CAM it wouldn't be hard to come up with something. I mean for cripes sake, they're re-poping ordinary small block cast iron manifolds now!.

Along those lines, is Lamar stillselling re-pop 2 piece intakes?. What are his prices like today?

PS: the problem with re-popping these heads has a "how many can you sell" barrier. If this ever comes to pass watch the price of good used blocks skyrocket1, nostalgia racers will join the W club in droves!.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Phil,does the owner of this fine looking engine have the car body that this engine came out of?If he has the car did he give you any history?

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Wowsers

These are photos I've been searching for. The detail is fantastic! The subject matter - superb!

I'll start a Z-11 page ij my Gallery this weekend!

As always, Phil's da man.

And of course - thoughts & prayers for Fred and his wife.

Ya'll take care.

:cool:

dave62

Well Known Member
Hi All, I think this is my first post here, although I do visit and read everything often. I am a Product Designer with extensive experience in 3D cad solid modeling(Pro-Engineer software). Although I don't have much backgound in designing casting tooling I know I could surely model any head casting part. But that would require actually having the head to measure all it's features accurately, but something tells me I'd have a hard time getting my hands on those z-11 heads....hehehe. Seriously it would require someone to have them manufactured, but it would be fun design work.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
heads

Lamar Walden already has done so. His are aluminum. I remember some message thread from the past on the old site about heads and intakes but I don't know where the conversation ever went.

Check the Exotic Engines page on my website. You can see his whole 409/Z type product line there.

Wrench's 409 Site

Wrench: you have a great web site!. But I couldn't find Lamars parts, missed it somewhere. I enjoyed it, others should go take a look.

59elcooldsuv

Well Known Member
Originally posted by dave62
I am a Product Designer with extensive experience in 3D cad solid modeling(Pro-Engineer software). Although I don't have much backgound in designing casting tooling I know I could surely model any head casting part. But that would require actually having the head to measure all it's features accurately,

Greetings fellow Model-Space-Cadet. I've been wanting to get trained in ProE. I've been using Autocad for about 10 years. You can see one I did in a thread titled "Compression Ratio Model".

I've been using some of my spare time to try to design a fuel injection manifold that looks like the old Rochester "dog-house" mechanical inj manifold from about 1957 - 1959, but to fit my 348. That ought to blow some minds!

I figure if I can't find someone to cast it then I can slice apart my 3d model to make templates to cut pieces of alum plate & weld it together - then machine to tolerance and sand blast it until it looks like cast.

As you say, the tough part is getting your hands on the real thing to take measurements off of. Right now I"m just trusting the calipers hidden in my eyeballs to look at pictures of them. I understand a real Rochester injection manifold can cost a shipload of dough.

Save yer revisions!

Too bad they didn't, pre-production planning records dating VERY early 1957 show Chevrolet HAD planned a fuel injection "W" block.Did they build experimental versions?, probably, it remained as a listed pre-planning RPO for some time.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here you go Fran

Lamars heads,,,,,:D

Attachments

• resize of resize of rocker 1.jpg
    resize of resize of rocker 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 322

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lamar Engine

Or,,,, Order the whole thing !!

Attachments

• resize of richs  488.jpg
    resize of richs 488.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 313

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The site

Wrench: you have a great web site!. But I couldn't find Lamars parts, missed it somewhere. I enjoyed it, others should go take a look.

Thanks Fran.

The pictures of Lamars engines are on the Exotic Engine page. Check photos 4 ~ 10. A couple more further down the thumbs.

wrench

Thanks wrench, WOW, that's the way to go!. Ok money bucks (how much?) but what an engine!. Seriously, that motor with a Hilborn scoop and stock valve covers in that dragster the guy has under "Racing Days'. Too much money?, heh, heh, heh, use it when your going after sponsors, publicity by the ton at the track. As in "she's Real Fine.." sponsored by (fill in the blank). To get a sponsor it helps to have a "hook". That is one sweet looking motor thanks wrench.