Z-11 restoration

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Raj:

You commented: "Don Kimball, Salinas Chevrolet, Syracuse NY (nose still exists though rest of the body disappeared in North Las Vegas in 1977 after the owner neglected to pay storage fees)"

That got me to thinking. Many years back (maybe 7-8?) we had a member on this Forum (IgnitionMan, since banned) from out West who had a collection of 60s drag cars stored in a former train depot (or something like that) in a little town out West. Said he had a 1963 Z-11 that he picked up for $750 (perhaps at a storage auction?) and was just sitting on it. Could htat possibly be the Kimball car?

Phil might remember Dave (IgnitionMan), he is an educated guy with lots of engineering experience. I appreciated his posts and insights. Used to curve HEIs for us before being banned from the site. I always got along with him, he was very good at what he did. The HEI in my SS car was done by Dave about 7 years ago. Haven't talked to him since then. Would be interesting if that is the car you referenced.

Cheers!
TomK

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is correct Tom, the Kimball Z-11 and a 1969 Talladega were together in the storage unit that the owner didn't pay past due fees on. The owner also had the grey ghost Z-11 at the same time (Clippinger Chevrolet car prepared by Frank Sanders) and sold it the Kimball Z-11 front end along with the silver Z-11. The only Z-11 I know stored in a container is Brian Batchelders car in Arizona.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thought I would post an update. Project is going slow. Got a couple of other projects underway.

Anyway, here are a few photos that might be of interest.

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_8710.JPG
Thought I would post a copy of the letter I received from Chevy that started all the controversy about how many were made.

Note, Prior guessed 57.

I have the original, this copy I actually got off the internet that someone blacked out my name and address, but added a forwarding address from 1979.

IMG_7506.JPG

A couple of interesting articles Dave Colbert sent me. He actually had to go into the Military shortly after getting the car, he kept it until the fall of 63.
IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4098.JPG

Pats 409

Well Known Member
I don't know how I missed this posting, it is of interest to me because it is a "local car" as I live just 10 minutes from the old Niagara Drag strip. I always wondered what happened to the Glen Campell car or who had it, any idea who bought it in the fall of 63 or where it went over the years? How long have you had it? Thanks for sharing pictures and info on the car.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The Z-11 was raced for only one season by Dave Colbert. He sold it when he went into the military. The person that bought it raced it in the area for a while, then it was sold again to I believe someon in Pa, or Ohio. It ended up being stored for 30+ years in Ohio. That's where I found it.

Since you are local, is there anyway you can reach out to those that raced there back then and see who may have photos.

Thanks.

Pats 409

Well Known Member
I do have a few friends that are still around but most have passed away I will ask around at some of the cruise nights this summer. We had a Sunday Niagara Drag reunion back in 1994 it was a good time but was a money loser for the people who put it on. At one of the drag strips here local we have a Sunday Niagara weekend every summer where they race all the old cars and also have a car show. I assume you are restoring your car with all of the original lettering as raced? That is going to be a really nice piece for sure.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's been slow going lately, other projects got in the way. Dave and I speak regularly. When finished he's coming to Dallas for a little "ride & drive".

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thunder does exist, I have seen it.

It sat beside the Dave Colbert Z-11 I purchased a few years ago. Fortunately, mine was not stored like Thunder.

However, Thunder is a pile of rust with no trim tag nor even the "actual cowl" where the trim tag is supposed to be.

Really sad.

To restore would require both front doors, both rear 1/4 panels, all the floor pans, both wheel houses, both rockers, an original Z-11 cowl( or cut the air cleaner hole), a frame and almost anything steel on the car.

There is no engine or transmission either.

Most of the aluminum is there, not all.

Then what would be left to claim its the real car.

So very sad for a car like this to be left outside for so many years.

Now, someone could get a donor car, create a tribute/original car and use various pieces in places to have some real parts on it, but claim only what it really is. Some of the actual Thunder lettering can be seen faded on the 1/4's.

Probably the best way is to be very open about what is being built, show all the photos of the entire restoration project.

That would be the best way to memorialize this very special and famous Z-11. I believe the support from the "W" crowd would be exciting to see the actual car out in daylight with a new future.

I know of a person that found a very special Ferrari. It was hidden under an old 1950's era Devon fiberglass body. The original body was long ago cut off. My friend purchased the 1952 Ferrari and he is building back the car it once was. It is estimated to be worth $2.8 million when finished. In no way am I comparing these 2 cars, the Ferrari is either the only one or just a couple.

The point is an original car with the original serial number can be built back and relive some of its past glory, but only with full disclosure, not cheap by any means.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Note the angle of the hood. I remember my brother fab'ed spacers to achieve similar effect. He also used spacers to lift entire hood up when we were trying different taller intake/carb set-ups for clearance and improved air intake.

Don't think/remember if he saw any improvement but it was fun tinkering with.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes, raising the hood helped the hot air exit the engine compartment.
However, the hood latch would not always catch properly because of the angle. If you tried to slam it then getting it open was a real challenge. If you did not move things around then the hood would fly up.

Just saying, been there.

409envy

Well Known Member
Definitely one of my favs... Pat, is the car at risk of being crunched if someone doesn't pick it up? It would be such a shame to let the car be destroyed. As was said above, there are many people capable of bringing the car back to life even if most of the main body structure is gone. I would also think the historical provenance would help to sell the car if it was ever auctioned off.
chev63z11_5.jpg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Definitely one of my favs... Pat, is the car at risk of being crunched if someone doesn't pick it up? It would be such a shame to let the car be destroyed. As was said above, there are many people capable of bringing the car back to life even if most of the main body structure is gone. I would also think the historical provenance would help to sell the car if it was ever auctioned off.
chev63z11_5.jpg

Would definitely be a real balancing act between who would tackle the task and what would have to be paid for Thunder. Ain't gonna be cheap!! No the car is not at risk of being crunched. The biggest risk is the rust still eating away 24/7.