Z-11 restoration

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Personally I never noticed them. Great question.
Dave Colbert told me he added the extra bar on his/my Z-11 car shortly after he got it in ‘63.
Come to think of it, he may be one of the few original remaining buyers of one of the 50 original Z-11 cars!!!

He keeps telling me to hurry up and finish it before he’s too old to drive it!! I offered him the opportunity when finished.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is an update on the Mystery Motor.
Hope Dave doesn’t see we are working on it also!!
Al is making the intake gaskets and they actually look pretty good.

We are planning to get it on the engine stand to start it.

More coming on this :)

B0199EEB-3A0F-4799-AAAC-F4107EF65FF3.jpeg51CA6A5E-B66C-4C45-B794-63FF0EDD1353.jpeg95062798-2633-40B0-BE5C-B311CF6BCC65.jpeg8BC96FFD-C9EF-406C-98C6-587356ED60F7.jpeg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Pat,

Im in awe of the projects that you are moving on with as im sure most of the guys on here are.
I have a questions about your crew working on these cars etc
Is this at your Toyota shop and are these guys that versatile to work on this old prehistoric stuff as well as the latest in engine/motor vehicle technology
I dont mean to offend if this is a question that you would rather not answer

Regards

Steve

PS the venting mesh in the brake backing plates on the Z car, was this done by all of the racers or just those that wanted to do or from factory
Also the brake shoes? was thinking for the weight on a drag strip but if you wanted to race these on a big circle then would you not want more material?

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Steve.
I'll let Pat answer your questions but offer a few tidbits on my own. The vented backing plates go back to the HD brake option on the early Corvettes. They had the segmented metallic shoes and vented backing plates for brake cooling although the corvette also had fiberglass cooling air ducts directed at the brakes both front and rear.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yep, what Cecil said.
Chevrolet adopted the Corvette shoes and backing plate concepts, however my experience with metallic brake shoes is they only really work when heated up like road racing. Racing 1/4 mile at a time gave little time for them to heat up except at the end.

As to the shop, most of the photos you will see are in the dealership service Dept. I have one stall that is used for all the work except body and paint stuff.

If it were not for all those customers cars getting in the way I’d have more room!

As for the entire team that does the work, the team is named Al.

He has built every car I have shown and several pasta cars I have not bothered anyone with. He is very talented and focused. Like all of you we have lots of local friends that do machine work, chrome work, interior trim work, wheels, etc.

Al was with us in Great Bend. I actually asked him to run the white 62 since I had promised my wife I would not race anymore(what a stupid promise LOL). Anyway too many of you guys as witnesses, and how much could I trust all of you!!!!

Anyway, Al does a great job and we all have fun. The guys in the shop all pitch in when we need to move something around etc. We have about 165-170 total employees and they all like to hear what is going to be started up next. The salesmen love to bring customers back and see what is going on. Loads of fun.

I could post some,of the other projects if interested.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Sounds like a Win-Win situation to me. Everyone has something unique to contribute. I think those are the best arrangements.

I'm in the JV seats compared to Pat's efforts, but at least I feel like I'm in the starting line up :).