Z-11 restoration

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I thought I would share a few photos of the Dave Colbert/Glen Campbell Chevrolet Z-11 I am restoring. It really is in great condition even with a little rust in the usual places. Later I will attempt to post a couple of photos of the lettering that can be seen with the eye, hard to capture with a camera.
It only has 925 miles on it, of course 1/4 mile at a time and the speedo cable disconnected along the way.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The 1963 Indy sticker is still on the windshield and will remain. Dave told me while he ran at Indy in 63 he did not fare as well as others. Interesting, he owned the car for less than a year, military called, but he did put the Ramchargers on the trailer! I think I shared that story before, not sure.
Some details:
The firewall has the 8-4 speed in chalk on the drivers side and not shown is an "11" chalk mark beside the firewall air cleaner duct hole that was cut. Interesting there are 3-4 3/4" stickers on both sides of the firewall behind the brace that supports the hood hinges. A couple of the stickers are paint stickers and I have not figured out the others yet. I have never seen these on any car restoration. I will post them later, forgot to take photos of them.

The engine has an NOS O Dash Z-11 crankshaft, 023 distributor, aluminum water pump,
Z-11 valve covers, guide plates, etc.
The interior, while not shown is in excellent condition and most of it will be preserved, a few pieces to be replaced.
Anyway, I appreciate you indulging me as we move through the restoration process, thank you.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:yup Very cool project!!! :beer

Interesting, he owned the car for less than a year, military called, but he did put the Ramchargers on the trailer! I think I shared that story before, not sure.

Yep, I looked it up and copied this out of a post you did a few weeks ago...

I was able to track Dave down and had several great conversations.
He related to me how he was asked to match race the Ramchargers Dodge at I believe Niagara. The big deal was the Chrysler Troubleshooting Contest was being held that weekend and they had arranged for the Ramchargers to come to town and take out the locals. Dave said that after the contest he and the big bad Dodge lined up where he immediately cleaned his clock. When Dave pulled back to the pits all the contestants for the Chrysler Troubleshooting Contest swarmed his car to see what this thing was!! He said he had a smile for a long time!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Exciting news, Pat. What a car !! I will have to sneak in and look . I assume restoration is being done at the dealership, I hope. What a great piece of history. :beer:clap:clap

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ronnie, yes we are restoring it here at the store. Give me a call or come by anytime, if I'm not around Al usually is.
I think we have collected photos of all significant areas. Just when you think you have identified everything, something comes along that makes you stop and think. For instance, when removing the windshield carefully it was noticed that only 2 screws actually held it in., clips all around it however. Maybe the same for all 63's, but also the clips on one side were a green color and the right side were a red oxide color??? Probably means nothing but Al discovered it.
The plan is to finish going over the car, get it soda blasted and into the body shop(not a quick process). The frame will be stripped, blasted and powder coated. Thanks to many we have collected most everything we need for the restoration. Amazing the aluminum parts are in great shape, even the hood never had a hole cut in it!!
More later.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations Pat!!!! We all know it's going to be a great car when you're done!!!! Will most definitely be the BEST restored Z-11 in the country!!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Really neat Pat, I'd love to have a car like that parked in my dining room lol. Wish I were close enough to eyeball the progress on a regular basis. Keep you eye on Russell, before you know it he'll have his head caught somewhere in the sheet metal trying to get a better look. Sounds like a photo opp for Ronnie too!

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice pics and I love the extra z 11 intake sitting on the floor. Is it for the other motor you have sitting next to the z 11 I couldn't make out what it was.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I thought I would share a few photos of the Dave Colbert/Glen Campbell Chevrolet Z-11 I am restoring. It really is in great condition even with a little rust in the usual places. Later I will attempt to post a couple of photos of the lettering that can be seen with the eye, hard to capture with a camera.
It only has 925 miles on it, of course 1/4 mile at a time and the speedo cable disconnected along the way.
View attachment 33829 View attachment 33830 View attachment 33831
View attachment 33832 View attachment 33833 View attachment 33834
The 1963 Indy sticker is still on the windshield and will remain. Dave told me while he ran at Indy in 63 he did not fare as well as others. Interesting, he owned the car for less than a year, military called, but he did put the Ramchargers on the trailer! I think I shared that story before, not sure.
Some details:
The firewall has the 8-4 speed in chalk on the drivers side and not shown is an "11" chalk mark beside the firewall air cleaner duct hole that was cut. Interesting there are 3-4 3/4" stickers on both sides of the firewall behind the brace that supports the hood hinges. A couple of the stickers are paint stickers and I have not figured out the others yet. I have never seen these on any car restoration. I will post them later, forgot to take photos of them.

The engine has an NOS O Dash Z-11 crankshaft, 023 distributor, aluminum water pump,
Z-11 valve covers, guide plates, etc.
The interior, while not shown is in excellent condition and most of it will be preserved, a few pieces to be replaced.
Anyway, I appreciate you indulging me as we move through the restoration process, thank you.

Those little stickers are "paint" "body" "trim" stickers ! My 64 Firewall has them as well as the 8 inside a Zero and 4spd. Also has an "11" over heater box. Tell you the truth it looks like the same guy crayoned that Z11 and my 64 Belair ! Looks very very similar.

Last edited:

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking good! The Colbert Z-11 was one of the later Z-11's assembled, VIN must of started with a 19 or 2 something. Wish the Tucker and Strange Stuff Z-11 were in restorable condition like the Colbert car :(. The Tucker Z-11 has the earliest VIN among all the Z-11's built in August or Sept of '62 ahead of Strickler's.

409envy

Well Known Member
Outstanding! Please take copious amounts of pictures and post frequently!

When you fire the engine for the first time take some video and post it up!

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[QUOTE="Z-11Guy, post: 269566, member:blind ]Looking good! The Colbert Z-11 was onedeliverslater Z-11's assembled, VIN must of started with a 19 or 2 something. Wish the Tucker and Strange Stuff Z-11 were in restorable condition like the Colbert car :(. The Tucker Z-11 has the earliest VIN among all the Z-11's built in August or Sept of '62 ahead of Strickler's.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read that the strickler/jenkins car,was the #1 Z-11 built????or was it"deliverd".???

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With only 925 mile's on it hard to believe it wasn't in better shape than it is . Was this car outside all these year's or what?????:dunno

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Kind of like the A/FX Dodge I found. It only has 265 miles on it, you should see the photos. I know the Z car was stored inside and outside both. The Dodge was in dry West Texas and the Z in cold snow country. Rust on the outside of the car is surface only, bottom of both rear 1/4's will be replaced as well as a portion of each rocker. Most everything else cleans up.
By way of reference, the first photo is of when the car used to kick my tail, second how it was found, and how it is today. As I have often said, "if you can't outrun them, buy them".
Hope you find this of interest. Did not mean to slide in a Mopar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 229