Z-11 TEXAS ROAD TRIP

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
As we know, Dennis is building a Z-11 tribute of the New York Shaker car. Dennis admits he is too late in the Z-11"s so he is talking to anyone that can help him. Good idea!!!!
So several of us keep getting Dennis' phone calls. About 4 weeks ago, he was telling me he has been talking a lot to Russ and Pat. On this particular call, he said he hadn't met either one which I knew. I said I could cure that!!! Figured out a plan for Dennis and it went like this: fly to Kansas City. I will pick you up at the airport and take you to Springfield, we'll spend 2 nights and one whole day with Russ, we'll throw Russ in the back seat and drive to McKinney and spend 2 nights and one whole day with Pat, then I'll take you out to central Texas and introduce to to Hayden and then I'll bring you back to KC. That's when I think his brain vapor locked!!
So the fly-in date was Tuesday, Oct.2. I had my friend Bob drive in from Indianapolis kinda to act as moderator!! Picked Dennis up at 11:34AM and off we went.. Russ collects lots of stuff.....I thought Dennis was going to hyperventilate when we got there!!! Lots of stories filled the evening. On Wed., we got to go to the shop that was painting and finishing the Jackshaw Z-11. Note to self: post pictures here !!!20181003_103357.jpg20181003_103406.jpg20181003_103418.jpg20181003_103519.jpg20181003_103617.jpg

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Part 2: I hit the post button instead of save!!! Anyway L2R, Russ, Bob, me and Dennis. Got to meet Russ' painter Ted. Then a tour of Fantastic Caverns. If you are in the area you really need to take the 1 hour underground tour!!
Then back to Russ's barns to see all his race cars. The only hiccup of the trip was Russ was not able to go with us the rest of the trip.
So Thurs. morning, off to the Toyota dealership in McKinney to see Pat. Pat gave us the tour of his shop which had the 61 black/red SS Impala station wagon and then his parts room. Spent the night with Pat and his lovely bride Sharon (BOY...did he marry above his pay grade!!!!!!). Then on Fri. Pat took us to a storage building where his cars are being stored until he finishes his new shop at home. Dennis couldn't be off the next week so we dropped him off at a motel at DFW airport. And Bib and I headed west to Hayden. Spent Sat. afternoon and evening and Sunday morning with him. Think I got something that Dennis will like!!
20181007_101923.jpg20181007_102244.jpg20181007_101923.jpg20181007_102244.jpg
Sorry Pat.....I did not take any pictures of your perfect Z-11 car but I know Dennis did!!!!!
Well, that's it!!! 7 days on the road, 1977 miles round trip and about a million laughs and memories!!!! Thank you to Russ and Pat's family to put up with our gang of vagabonds!!!!!! Kinda a life time trip!!!

RussC

Well Known Member
As we know, Dennis is building a Z-11 tribute of the New York Shaker car. Dennis admits he is too late in the Z-11"s so he is talking to anyone that can help him. Good idea!!!!
So several of us keep getting Dennis' phone calls. About 4 weeks ago, he was telling me he has been talking a lot to Russ and Pat. On this particular call, he said he hadn't met either one which I knew. I said I could cure that!!! Figured out a plan for Dennis and it went like this: fly to Kansas City. I will pick you up at the airport and take you to Springfield, we'll spend 2 nights and one whole day with Russ, we'll throw Russ in the back seat and drive to McKinney and spend 2 nights and one whole day with Pat, then I'll take you out to central Texas and introduce to to Hayden and then I'll bring you back to KC. That's when I think his brain vapor locked!!
So the fly-in date was Tuesday, Oct.2. I had my friend Bob drive in from Indianapolis kinda to act as moderator!! Picked Dennis up at 11:34AM and off we went.. Russ collects lots of stuff.....I thought Dennis was going to hyperventilate when we got there!!! Lots of stories filled the evening. On Wed., we got to go to the shop that was painting and finishing the Jackshaw Z-11. Note to self: post pictures here !!!View attachment 65075View attachment 65076View attachment 65077View attachment 65078View attachment 65079

Old farts working on their bucket lists

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
What a great trip!!!..................I want to think the Campbell's and the Lobb's for putting up with Phil, Bob, and myself and opening up their homes and collections for us to enjoy... One would have thought that I would have taken a ton of pictures, but to be honest.....I was too busy lookin' and a little overwhelmed...... Both Z-11 restorations by Russ and Pat are absolutely stunning. The details on these car's are amazing!

However, the collections of aluminum, steel and iron, were secondary to the kindness and knowledge that these two men so freely shared. They tirelessly answered all my questions and provided so much history of the Z-11 and 409's. Hell..........even Phil learned something!

I sure I'll have more to say later................but for now.........thanks Phil for putting this great trip together. It's one I'll never forget!!

20181003_104017.jpg
20181003_104049.jpg

20181004_173050.jpg

20181005_102706.jpg
20181005_103456.jpg
20181005_103429.jpg

20181005_121856.jpg20181005_121914.jpg