Z-11 Valve Cover Restoration

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have begun the prep work to get these valve covers ready for the time to put'em on my motor. I had them media blasted with plastic beads that remove paint without much etching of the metal. I know its not a good idea to use media as it can collect under the drippers, but I'm going to solve that problem by putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner used to clean debris from medical instruments with hard to clean nooks and crannies.

Some of the original paint was not removed by the plastic. I may have to use marine stripper to get it down to the metal, but not sure yet. There were 4 layers of paint/primer that was removed. The is a probable race history with these covers as seen by the repaired areas in the front of each cover where breathers once lived. Both covers have bumps and bruises that will be addressed before painting.

I am doing 1 at a time, as I'm reluctant to let them both go at one time. I wish I knew what car that these once lived on!

IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0175.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 33

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
How does one know for sure they are Z 11 covers again?

Reason I ask, I have some with the same breather cut outs......

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom...you can't see it in the pictures but the drippers are much longer than the 425HP covers. Plus these have the stamped square corners for the factory guide plates.

Your covers came off a 62 409SS from Niagara Falls, NY. Along with your heads, intake and carbs. Any other questions Jack Wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
How does one know for sure they are Z 11 covers again?

Reason I ask, I have some with the same breather cut outs......

I can only assume that Phil is referring to me as the Jack wagon..... He certainly wouldn't refer to you as one!!!.................. I, for one, could never come close to knowing if they were the real deal without the square corners for the guide plates. However, I have heard that these have been faked/cloned or whatever they may be called, and I would never to be able to identify the non-originals. Coming from Dr. Phil, I'm comfortable that they are correct.

Would be an interesting discussion to see what others that know these covers, might add and ring in on the reproductions, especially images.

Best, Dennis ( aka. Jack Wagon)?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom........................Dennis had to call me!!!!! He thought my Jack Wagon had been directed at you. No way!!! That is my "name" for Dennis. I was replying to his statement that he would like to know where the car was that his top half came off. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Pictures of Z-11 valve cover..........the drippers were longer than standard drippers. Last picture...409 valve cover on the left..Z-11 on the right......same height.

z11valvecovers1.jpg z11valvecovers2.jpg z11valvecovers3.jpg z11valvecovers4.jpg z11409valvecover1.jpg

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
No problemo guys. I've been called worse. LOL!

I looked at some of mine. The only odd thing on one is the numbers stamped in the tip of the tip of the drippers.......

409envy

Well Known Member
Noob question here. Why were the z11 drippers longer? Was the valve train recessed deeper on the z11 heads than the stadard HP heads? Or did the longer dripper coalesce more oil?