Z11 As-Delivered Engine Compartment

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hot Rod Magazine recently published this online photo as part of their Mystery Motor story of perhaps the best "as delivered" Z11 engine compartment photo ever seen. The car doesn't even have headers on it yet and if you look close, you can see a "Bruder Chevrolet" license plate frame and dealer plates on the car. This is interesting because Bruder is only known for selling the Green Richard Schroeder Z11 so it remains a mystery on which car this is exactly. Oh yeah, there's also a factory heater in this car also!image.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If Hot Rod Mag has a lead on this photo surely there are others of this car from the same source???

Just a thought

What Mag was it in Mark?

Steve

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's what I was hoping for also. This photo came from the Petersen archives but was never published in the magazine and I'd love to see the other photos from that particular roll of film. I've sent them several E-mails requesting more photos from this shoot so hopefully more surface soon.

Last edited:

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry couldn't resist, AWESOME FIND! This means Don Fezzell's Green Z-11 was one of the 2 Z-11's sold at Don Steve's Chevrolet in 1963 (the other Z-11 sold to Richard Sironian and soon to Tom Sturm). Don's green Z-11 was soon dealer traded to Enoch Chevrolet in Southgate CA.
Bob Bruder Chevrolet was in Hollywood and this Z-11 was ordered by Artis Bowls. Never heard anything about that car being raced at all. Total of 11 Z-11's were delivered to Los Angeles new.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put a list of all the California Z-11 Chevy's sold new in 1963:

Hayden Proffitt- Cone Chevrolet -Fullerton CA (Ember red car red interior)
Terry Prince (originally ordered by Mike Mclusky)- Service Chevrolet - Pasadena CA (Ember red car red interior)
H.L. & Shirley Shahan-3 way Chevrolet-Bakersfield CA (Ember red car white roof and red interior)only documented factory 2-tone Z-11 ordered
Butch (Larry)Leal- Del Munson Chevrolet-Pixley CA (Monaco blue car blue interior)
Jack Bayer-Bill Bader Chevrolet-Fontana CA (Monaco blue car blue interior)
Lloyd Porter (ordered by Ron Jantze)-Ernie Porter Chevrolet-Pasadena CA (Monaco blue car blue interior)
Tom Sturm (ordered by Richard Sironian)-Don Steves Chevrolet-La Habra CA (White car blue interior)
Richard Shroeder (Ordered by Lee Ellis)-Don Steve's Chevrolet-La Habra CA raced later under Enoch Chevrolet in Southgate CA (Ivy Green car green interior)
Artis Bowles-Bob Bruder Chevrolet-Hollywood CA-(White car may have had red or black interior)
Dealer ordered Z-11 Impala by fleet sales - Clippinger Chevrolet Covina CA later sold to Ron Campbell (raced under Oscar Gregory Chevrolet)-(Satin Silver car with black interior)
Finally:
Mike Lenke (ordered by Tino Rigano)-Ed Priester Chevrolet-Oceanside CA (Tuxedo black car red interior)

Special thanks to Mark for posting that Bruder Chevrolet Z-11 pic. That car and the the Don Steves Chevrolet car drove me nuts for years! Now I have confirmation Bruder Chev and the Enoch Z-11's were different dealers as my records indicate Bruder Chev only got one Z-11.

Pic of a factory fuelie '58 delivered new at Enoch Chevrolet (later became Dana Chevrolet in Southgate CA near where my '70 Impala was built at the GM southgate CA plant)
cleve.gif

Last edited:

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just got to scrape up my notes together (in boxes at my parents house and try to avoid the old man as much as I can). In your state of Georgia were as follows:

Don Nicholson-Nalley Chevrolet- White car black interior
Bill Connell-Wallace Chevrolet-Monaco Blue car Blue interior
Bobby Atkinson & Charlie Venable (soon sold to Steve Bagwell) not sure which dealership originally delivered to though prepared by Nalley (Satin Silver car black interior)

Now the interesting ones
Hubert Platt(Georgia Shaker)- Original owner was John Hollingsworth-Cobb Chevrolet Goldsboro NC (Monaco Blue Blue interior)
Houston Platt (Dixie Twister )-Original owner Bondy Long-Harter Chev-Camden SC. This car was wrecked in late 1963 in a match race against Phil Bonner's Galaxie and replaced by the 2nd Dixie Twister Z-11 purchased from Sox & Martin (Oct of '63) (white with blue interior).

Man this gives me a migraine trying to remember this stuff!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh I was just teasing you man. Don't need any migraine headaches especially going into a Monday morning. Thanks for everything you post up. It's all very informative.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
No worries, I'll get one at the office anyhow so I can't win either way ;)
How do you remember all this Raj?
Also how do you find out this stuff i mean Hayden is still around to get information off but a lot of the others are not so fortunate
I guess a lot of those dealerships have closed as well making records harder to find

Steve

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How do you remember all this Raj?
Also how do you find out this stuff i mean Hayden is still around to get information off but a lot of the others are not so fortunate
I guess a lot of those dealerships have closed as well making records harder to find

Steve

When I was a 14 years old back in 1986 I picked up a book called "great cars of the '60's by consumer guide" In there was a red 1962 Bel Air as one of the great cars of the '60's. At age 14 I was scratching my head why on earth would a plain jane belair hardtop be in this book and why not an Impala SS convertible. I never knew what a 409 was until then. I fell in love with '63 Impala's at that time and quickly learned about the Z-11 Chevrolet and I was obsessed. I met my mentor Rusty Symmes and John Mounts and close friend Mark Ascher who did extensive research of '63 Z-11's and was given a book of notes. At college in 1999 I was using the internet to contact names of Z-11 owners and got lucky. Took a lot of digging and calling and a list I got from a retired GM suit I pestered for 4 years that showed original owners,dealers and dealer code city & state. They were only 42 cars on this list before the cut off and I managed to find the last 7-8 cars that were built late (F19XXXX-F2XXXX prefixes were late car didn't make the list) . The first Z-11 produced was Bob Tucker's car and the last Brian Batchelder's car. I need to dig up my archives again for you guys.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
When I was a 14 years old back in 1986 I picked up a book called "great cars of the '60's by consumer guide" In there was a red 1962 Bel Air as one of the great cars of the '60's. At age 14 I was scratching my head why on earth would a plain jane belair hardtop be in this book and why not an Impala SS convertible. I never knew what a 409 was until then. I fell in love with '63 Impala's at that time and quickly learned about the Z-11 Chevrolet and I was obsessed. I met my mentor Rusty Symmes and John Mounts and close friend Mark Ascher who did extensive research of '63 Z-11's and was given a book of notes. At college in 1999 I was using the internet to contact names of Z-11 owners and got lucky. Took a lot of digging and calling and a list I got from a retired GM suit I pestered for 4 years that showed original owners,dealers and dealer code city & state. They were only 42 cars on this list before the cut off and I managed to find the last 7-8 cars that were built late (F19XXXX-F2XXXX prefixes were late car didn't make the list) . The first Z-11 produced was Bob Tucker's car and the last Brian Batchelder's car. I need to dig up my archives again for you guys.

That information is priceless Raj,
It would be awesome to publish a book on that history with then and now pics, history of each one if known etc
Maybe Doug Marion could help?
Im not sure i just see it as a piece of history that needs to be preserved

Just my opinion

Regards

Steve

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Always heard Joey Chitwood, stunt car driver, had a Z-11 in his fleet of cars. Supposedly one of the last built as it was equipped with a heater to keep him warm during his late fall fairgrounds exhibitions. Seems like all his cars were a light color with his lettering on them. Any truth to this story?