Z11 at Charlotte

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a red Z11 for sale at the Charlotte Autofair. The numbers on the block look at little funny. What do you think of the stamping.

Attachments

• z11blockstamp.jpg
    z11blockstamp.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 617

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This may be a better image. Doesn't the M look like it's been struck over or altered?

Attachments

• z11blkstmp.jpg
    z11blkstmp.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 574

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Differences?

Is the QM block really that different from the others made that year? Any other means for determining authenticity?

I'm guessing this is a complete motor (engine) and that the square cornered heads and two piece intake are part of this? Is it in a car?

Thanks for showing it!

Tom K

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here are a few more I took. The asking price for the car was $87,500. The paint and body work were absolutely flawless. Wish I had taken a picture of the cowl tag and such, but there was a crowd of people around it.

Attachments

• z11car.jpg
    z11car.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 536

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's a picture of the engine. Yes it did have a two peice intake.

Attachments

• z11engine.jpg
    z11engine.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 537

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sheet he had with the car.

Attachments

• z11spec.jpg
    z11spec.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 515

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
thanks

Can I keep/add those photos to my site?

Was the strange stamping brought up? The numbers not being straight isn't too bad, but that M sure is worth looking into. The 814 block is 63 vintage. I think they had QA, QB and QM that year.

I took the second numeral image over to Photoshop. It ain't pretty. Looks like a restamp to me. I see two 'M' 's, one small, one large and I see faint outlines of the lower part of a B.

Not to mention the date 0209 in 1963 was a Saturday. I can't see the Union working Saturdays stamping blocks in that era - though I may be wrong.

JMHO

Thanks!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey guys,
The gentleman that owned the Z11 and I talked quite a bit outside the show. (His motor home was parked near me in the parking lot) Don't get too rung up about the car, the price tells you that it probably isn't one of the original cars. If it was real, the price would have been well over a 100k, I didn't ask him if it was real or not, didn't really need to, like I said, in a round about way, he told me. He has a bunch of serious collector cars and this one doesn't quite measure up so he wanted to get rid of it. I think the guy is OK (I won't call his name but he has one of the larger muscle car collections) and I think if someone had got serious he would have been up front about the car. "Ain't no need in telling the hole world cause 99% of the people are just looking anyway". But it was a nice car and might be worth close to the price in parts. Think about it, I don't know what that aluminum front end and the Z11 parts and the cowl induction are worth but it would bring a ton on ebay. It was an old race car, if you looked close, the stains from the lettering were still visible on the windows. Just my thoughts
Tommy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'd take it for my birthday

My guess is, that since it was apparently a race car, that most likely the block was damaged at some point in time and replaced with the QB block (or some other stamping, but as Wrench says, it does look like a "B"). Not uncommon, I suspect. At least he's not trying to pass it off as an original :)

Either way, as mentioned, all that aluminum, those special heads and intake, that cowl induction/air cleaner, they are in high demand and are becoming priceless, so the package is worth quite a bit to the right person. Oh yeah, and the car looks real good too :) :) :)

Thanks for all the pics! I've seen a QM block and the heads before (in person) , but never the complete package, whether correct block or not. Now I am waiting for one of you guys to step up and buy that car and give it to Bob so when we get together we can all drool over it :) I'm kinda in the middle of a lot of expensive projects, but I can throw down $100 and if you guys can cover the rest, that would be great !!!

Cheers,
TomK

bobs409

Administrator
I like that part about giving it to Bob. LOL :D Lets hear more on that... I promise to take good care of it if that helps. ;)

I seem to recall hearing that just a Z-11 air cleaner sold for about $20,000 once. How do you put a value on the other parts? Dang!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
On pricing rare objects

IMHO, if you have something that is rare and valuable, then the price you ask is "whatever you think it's worth" and the value of that object is "inestimable". I'm sure you've all heard of pieces of the Gutenburg bible, original sketches from Leonardo da Vinci, and such go for unbelievable prices. It appears that z-11 stuff, while not quite in this category, is gaining value quickly. Well, not value, but price...

In a land where 20 year old computer whizzes can instantly be millionaires (OK, that's getting harder and harder, but it will return), and prices for real estate in San Francisco and elsewhere go for millions and millions, what's a few $10,000 bills here and there along the way???

On the other hand, most of us working stiffs don't have access to capital like that, and prices seem out of touch with reality. The rarity of an object makes it open for such pricing. Ever think 690 heads would cost upwards of $2000?

So hang on to your rare stuff, at least don't part with it easily, and set some aside for those days ahead when you won't be able to buy it off of yourself :)

Oh yeah, and drive 'em if you've got 'em :)

Cheers,
TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A good example of the kind of money out there is the guy in Calif that paid over $500,000 at auction for the new F**d GT that is coming out next year. They are only making 1500 a year and he paid 5 times what it will be sold for a the dealer,,,,,
can you say,,,disposable cash ?? I can`t,,,,LOL

Mark I

Guys,

If I might chime in here, I am almost certain that car is the old Bill Burge "Living Legend" car, which, as Tommy nailed on the head, is an assembled car, not one of the original production cars. It was for sale on ebay some time ago, and did not sell. The ebay pictures of that car, and the one in this thread, are the same.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Bill?

Mark

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You're right Mark, it was on ebay about 2 years ago and its final bid was fairly close to his asking price. Yeah, its a clone. I didn't know that this car had a racing history.
Ross

Mark I

Ross! Good to hear from you. I didn't realize it was that long ago already that it was on ebay. Bill raced that car quite a bit from the info I have. Bill evidently sold everything and dropped out of sight 10-12 years ago.

Mark

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You've got me thinking.

This isn't Z11 related but all this money talk has got me thinking. I'm wondering how much a 64 QB engine complete but taken apart is worth in real money and in "EBay" money? :rolleyes: It is all there with the Chrome air cleaner and all. It does need a sleeve from a hole in a cylinder from a not so careful disassembly. :( and one exhaust manifold is cracked. I'm just wondering if I should try to buy this thing if the price is right. Just looking for opinions here. Oh and while you're thinking, how about a complete minus the air cleaner 61 409? It's stuck but not blown up. It is numbers matching and still together. I own this one. Thanks NUT