Z11 Cars, All Accounted For???

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
[QUOwe're quik9r, post: 338220, member: 565"]the living legend ended up having a set of z11 aluminum heads that were made in late 80s?.. The pictures above were after the heads were removed and the car was put back to "stock" configuration for sale. The heads are still in Ontario in a basement.

So were those heads Rojeski???/Walden aftermarket aluminum Z11 heads[/QUOTE]
Probably....I think those were the only ones available back then.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, did the Northern Rebel use those same heads? I was thinking they were non-water heads but not sure or who's they might have used.

Well Known Member
The following is by no means claimed to be totally accurate, many cars status is unknown. In fact I would love input by anyone who may have documented information. For a while I was trying to document as much of this information but some people say they are planning to do a publication documenting the Z11s. My problem is at this point in life I can't wait a whole lot longer and would like to see as much documentation out in the public forum as can be put together but know one wants to talk! LOL. What you see below was initially put together by Rusty and I have modified it as I have come across additional information. Also, I don't know whose car Dennis' parts are taken from.

Z11 cars by State / Dealer

Alabama
Pierson Chevrolet, Gadsden, AL: Jim Weathers - Status unknown
Dement Mollison Chevrolet, Birmingham, AL: Carl Wells - Status unknown

Arizona
Rudolph Chevrolet, Phoenix, AZ: Frank Sanders - Currently restored

California
Cone Chevrolet, Fullerton, CA: Hayden Proffitt - Supposedly wrecked in Texas
Service Chevrolet, Pasadena, CA: Terry Prince - Currently restored
3 Way Chevrolet, Bakersfield, CA: H. L. Shahan - Status unknown
Del Munson Chevrolet, Pixley, CA: Larry “Butch” Leal - Status unknown
Bill Bader Chevrolet, Fontana, CA: Jack Bayer - Reported junked in 1980, but may still exist in Northern CA: parted out.
Ernie Porter Chevrolet, Pasadena, CA: Boyd Porter - Thought to be parted out in the 1980s
Ed Prister Chevrolet, Montrose, CA: Mike Lenke - Status unknown
Bruder Chevrolet, Hollywood, CA: Artis Bowls (Richard Schroeder) - Currently restored, Owned by Don Fezell
Clippinger Chevrolet, Covina, CA: Ron Campbell - Currently restored
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Tom Shahan
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Lee Ellis
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Tom Strum - Junked *

Florida
Jim Rathman Chevrolet, Melbourne, FL: Bob Tucker - Found in Ohio

Georgia
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Don Nicholson - Destroyed in race accident by second owner.
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Huston Platt - Junked – front end still exists.
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Steve Bagwell - Status unknown
Wallace Chevrolet, Albany, GA: Bill Connell - May have been junked. Front end still exists, Don Fezell put it on the green car.

Illinois
Nelson Chevrolet, Libertyville, IL: Bob Delia - Status unknown
Mancuso Chevrolet, Skokie, IL: Burris Hall - Disassembled & put on street with a 283

Indiana
Smith Chevrolet, La Porte, IN: Larry Moody - Status unknown
Zintmaster Chevrolet, Kokomo, IN: - Last seen on a car lot, never titled
Bub Gates Chevrolet, Indianapolis, IN: Jim Johnson - Reportedly still exists. At one time converted to small block race car.

Iowa
Rapids Chevrolet, Cedar Rapids, IA: Vincent Fiala - Status unknown

Kansas
Hattan Chevrolet, Wichita, KS: Bill Clay - Status unknown
Singling Chevrolet, Wichita, KS: Bill Schultz - Reported in restoration, should be completed by now

Kentucky

Broadway Chevrolet, Louisville, KY: John Ward
(Irvine Johns, VV Cook Chev car) - Possibly disassembled

Louisiana
Oliver Chevrolet, Morgan City, LA: Jack Cooley - Status unknown

Maine
Woodward & Austin Chevrolet, Portland, ME: Brian Batchelder - Car is unrestored in Ar. Has front end.

Minnesota
Midway Chevrolet, St. Paul, MN: John Hagen - Parted out in 1972

Michigan
Floyd Floren Chevrolet, Detroit, MI: Chuck Turner - Restored

North Carolina
Adamance Motor CO, Burlington, NC: Sox & Martin - Went to Ohio in 1966, not seen since.
Cobb Motor Co, Goldsboro, NC: John Hollingsworth - - Status unknown
City Chevrolet, Charlotte NC: (Don Eberhart car) - Parted out. Converted to 327 & sold on used car lot. Front end still exists (Hank Gabbard)
H&N Chevrolet, Havelock, NC: Hubert Platt - Junked, burned in field. Front End Still Exists
Stokes Motor Co, King, NC: V.P. Hartgrove - Restored w/ original engine.
Abernathy Chevrolet,Hickory, NC:Clyde Curtis, Wayne Baker - Status unknown, Sold to Richard Bloom in 1963.

New York
Oak Hill Chevrolet,East Chester, NY: Bill Lagana - Restored
Salinas Chevrolet,, Syracuse NY: Don Kimball - Body junked
Glen Campbell Chevrolet,Buffalo NY: Dave, Lee Colbert - Car owned by Pat Lobb, currently in restoration. Dave still races NHRA Super Stock.

New Mexico
Moran’s Gateway Chevrolet, Carlsbad, NM: Dick Harrel - Status unknown

Ohio
Dutch Folk Chevrolet, Akron, OH:Butch PeterS (Joie Chitwood car) - Restored

Pennsylvania

Ammon R. Smith Motor Co, York, PA:Strickler/Jenkins - Currently restored, Owned by Don Fezell

South Carolina
Harter Chevrolet, Camden, SC: Bondy Long – Richard Broom Car - Status unknown

Texas
Friendly Chevrolet, Dallas, TX: Buddy Taylor - Status unknown

Virginia
Watts Chevrolet, Williamsburg, VA: Winston Parker (Jack May Car) - Hank Gabbard restored

Washington D. C.
Hicks Chevrolet, Washington D.C.: Malcolm Durham - Restored, rebodied

Washington
Alan Green Chevrolet,, Burien, WA: Dick Milner - Restored, Don Fezell collection. Dick Milner is active on Facebook in a few racing groups.
Dick Mackenzie, can I post this list on my Facebook page . It's just to show family and friends who are interested in these cars how many are left and there rarity .

Well Known Member
Dick Harrells car without the alum front end was seen for sale on a used. car lot i believe in Missouri,lomg time ago some how sold or towed away and junked, the vin number exists somewhere , i have pics of the car when others owned it
Can you post some of your pictures of the "Dick Harrell's " Z 11 when others owned it.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The Mike Lenke car was raced as a B/G car at San Fernando until 68-70 or whenever they quit running that track. It had a Pontiac rear end, a 409 +.060" short block with the Z-11 heads. The heads were pretty rough,having rocker stud bosses welded back on, also they leaked water. The car got separated from the engine, then it was rumored to have been sold to a bunch of Saugus Speedway dirt track racers. Before it was sold,however, the aluminum front end looked like reynolds wrap. Not too straight. One of my old 409 CCA members had it and sold the heads and intake in the middle 1980's or so.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've seen the top end from the Platt car. I have the top end and some parts from the Irvin Johns car. Front end went to Chicago and car was wrecked. It was on the Rag a Muffin car. I'll need to ask Philley who he bought it from but it was palomar Red.Front end, who knows.
Irvin's car was sold and stolen and crashed. Went to junk yard. I haven't found it yet.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
As I have posted before, I use to own one set of Hubert Platts top end, sold them a long time ago. Also had the front hood from Dick Harrells car, rest of it crashed, hood saved, I had the front end from Buddy Taylors car, sold it to Doug Hughes who sold it to John Mounce and and I think it went on the car Don Nicholson was building. I have the original front fenders and hood off of the Good Ole Mr. Wilson car, don't remember what set is actually on the car. Dicks car was crushed, Buddys car was sold with a steel front end on it I believe and the one I have never actually found locally is Hayden Proffits car, a guy named Clyde (now can't remember his last name) had a used car lot and raced it, he kind of fell off of the earth, I think another guy I knew got the aluminum, not for sure.
I also had Frank Sanders top half and heads off of his 62 that Ken Hare bought. Ken never got it to run like Frank.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Any idea if this is a real one ? supposedly has history on it and copy of a page from this site..

DSCN5713_zps14fc66e2.jpg

DSCN5717_zps210d729f.jpg

DSCN5718_zps1dac0026.jpg

DSCN5720_zps724a917b.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Do you have a picture of the VIN? Where were the pictures taken? Supposedly there were two satin silver z11s, Joe Bagwell's and Ron Campbell's.

Joe's may be in the possession of a gentleman in Canada.

Ron's was campaigned as the "Gray Ghost". It was restored and still exists.

Gray Ghost_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Since it's from a collection in Minnesota it's not the Canada car. I have the VIN for Ron's car but since you didn't get the VIN from the car in the collection that can't be verified. It could very well be the Gray Ghost car though. Did the owner discuss the history of it at all? Ron's car passed through the Mecum auction in Dallas a few years ago about 2012. It is Satin Silver with a Black interior

Last edited:

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Since it's from a collection in Minnesota it's not the Canada car. I have the VIN for Ron's car but since you didn't get the VIN from the car in the collection that can't be verified. It could very well be the Gray Ghost car though. Did the owner discuss the history of it at all? Ron's car passed through the Mecum auction in Dallas a few years ago about 2012. It is Satin Silver with a Black interior

Bob buys a lot of his cars thru Mecum, so it could possibly be that one. I was there on a private tour with a group and didn't get to talk with him about the car.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have pictures of the cowl tag and engine block for the black 62 Belair in the pictures above.

The car was in Sioux Falls , South Dakota at a indoor Winterfest Show, in February 2016.
I looked it up on Mecum site, it was purchased at Mecum in California a few years ago.
The owner brought 5 cars to the show. One guy I talked to said he runs or helps where the cars are stored in Minnesota.

Paul