Z11 crank

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,Phil didn't break that one but "we'll blame him any way":mock. That intake was never installed on any known Z-11,but was an "over the counter" Nascar piece likely as rare as a 2-4 bbl.intake for a Mystery engine would be.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve,Phil didn't break that one but "we'll blame him any way":mock. That intake was never installed on any known Z-11,but was an "over the counter" Nascar piece likely as rare as a 2-4 bbl.intake for a Mystery engine would be.
Hi Don thanks for that, thats why i was asking as the intake was not a 2x4 and no crank so was just wondering what the history on the rest was as well

Steve

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Very obvious that intake manifold technology had a way to go back then. Cyls#1 and 7 have a very noticeable 90 degree turn, then an abrupt 45 degree drop.Runners #4 and 6 have about the best shot at the intake valve from the carb base. The rest of them are of various lengths and configurations in between them. Any time you abruptly change the direction of an air/fuel charge like that, the mixture collides with the wall in front of it, regroups, then heads for the vacuum source, in this case, the open intake valve. At the point of abrupt direction change, mixture separation occurs, where fuel droplets drop out of the air stream resulting in erratic air/fuel ratios in the various runners. A dyno pull would reflect variations in horsepower from cylinder to cylinder that would reveal unequal air/ fuel ratios.For whatever reason, Chevrolet insisted on using the dual plane intake design that inherently enhanced this problem. It's that way on all the 409's, as well as the hi po 327 Corvette intakes, with their square turns and such. The Z-11 dual four barrel intake is quite tall, but it's still dual plane and has unequal configured runners.It does reflect the ancestry of the tunnel ram, which would probably have been quite successful if it would have been considered.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Not sure how many were made, but there was one guy running a single 4 NASCAR in 63.
I have a photo somewhere.

As for the 2x4 MYSTERY MOTOR intake?

Never happened.

I know the guy that made the fake one Roger Sortino put on his black 63 “Z-33”.

He told me how he took an 881 intake and a real MM intake and began cutting, welding and grinding.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just looked at my photos close up of the Mystery motor in the Z33 car and it looks like a factory 2×4 intake as I can't see any welds but I can see the snowflake but my eyes have lied to me before

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The guy cut the top out of an 881 and measured carefully to weld onto the MM intake. What’s crazy is there were quite a few MM intakes made so was not too difficult to find one.
Look inside to see the truth.