Z11- Hayden Proffitt Story

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hayden

I have known about Hayden Proffittt for quite a while but thats the first time I have heard a personal story about him. Thank you for sharing this great story, you made my day! :cheers

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
fatride -

That story was great! Since my sanity is involved, I need to ask some obscure questions and I'll explain later.

The dates mentioned in this story do not match up with my recollections. While that would not be a first, it seems to me - no it REALLY is what I remember - that Hayden Proffitt and one or two other of the legendary heroes drove at Continental Divide Raceways in Coloraado in the summer of 1965 or 1966. And I do not recollect him driving a red 409 - it was white. It is such a strong belief that I am sort of unnerved by the possibility I am either believing the BS of my youth or my brain is tricking me. Forgetting some things when you're older is one thing, remembering events that did not happen is altogether another.

I tried to find out what had happened to him about a year ago with no luck. Can you tell us anything? So if you are ever talking to Hayden Proffitt, ask him about it will you please? And maybe he'd like to get on the forum once in a while too. We'd all have to light candles around the screen and chant when reading his posts.

- Michael (as I recollect - pretty sure anyway - probably)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of you know or don`t know of the history that is on this site?!

In the years I`ve be associated with the 348-409 club/ forum I have listened and learned about the history of our fellow members.

It is astounding to learn the history of our fellow members !!

Fred,,, for instance , was involved with Hayden Proffet in his hay-days !

If you need answers I would suggest you look no further then our forum and ask away !!

The history and stories are unreal in the real life stories that are right here under your nose !!

There are many among us that bought, raced, and hung around our most beloved cars when they were new.

Not to mention working with the legends that we all hold dear to our hearts and memories!!

It would be something to have them write-out their memories and stories to share with us before they are gone (sorry, but true) .

We need to document these these stories to pass on for ever !!!

So ,,,,get going,,,Fred and the others !!! We want to hear the stories !!!
,,,,,,,a growing old,,,but wanting to remain young forever through your stories, ,,,,,dq

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hayden

Here's a pic of a replica:

62_belair_hayden_replica.jpg

His car was red.

Dyno Don's was white.

I think.............

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden

Don't have time for much right now, but in 65, Hayden had a 65 Comet A/FX car from Ford Motor Co. This car was white. I don't have stills of it, but do have it on film. Well, now on VHS. Hayden kept this car a short time, as he said he got tired of getting Dyno's hand me down parts.
Don't remember which year it was, but before 65, that Hayden was DQd at Indy for running "fuel". They announced it as he was coming back on the return road right in front of all the fans. It turned out that while on the west coast, he used Sunoco 260 fuel, and when they came to Indy they put Gulf Crest in the car. The fuel testing equipment back then wasn't very good, and it read as some kind of fuel. The mix was what threw it off. Anyway, it was very embarrassing. Hayden later sued NHRA, and WON. The settlement was one of those non-disclosure deals.
I'm thinking HAyden was with Chrysler in the 63-64 years. I know he had some Chrysler cars, sponsored by Yeakle Plymouth when I was there in January, 1965. It was later that year he had the Comet.
He was a TUNER. And DRIVER. Really knew his stuff. Working with him, we got a full bodied 63 409 on 7" slicks, into the 11s. We were .02 off the national record in B/MP. Then some guy in a vette took the record down to about 11.60. No way we could get there!
Fred
Work beckons.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden

Forgot, last I heard, Hayden is alive and well and living in Texas on a lake, and enjoys fishing. This was about a year ago. I had his phone number at one time, but never called.

Fred

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sure fire thing!

OK, you know how we've talked in the past about getting everybody together? It's sooo hard to plan and to execute. I bet if we got Hayden Proffit and Dyno Don together somewhere, almost anywhere, we'd all get off our butts (I mean "out of our garages"!) and find a way to get there.

Now if we only knew one of our members who could make that call......... :) :) :) Fred, can you hear me ????

Cheers,
TomK

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brain misfire

The reason I asked is I raced my 409 at CDR both those summers in SS/S and later BM/S. Summer of 65 I beat the NHRA record at altitude, but could not back it up with a second pass. Knowing what I know now, everything just must have been perfect that day or someone made a mistake. I remember one time I beat one of the big boys and have the picture in my mind of them looking over at me with some disgust back in the pits. But it was a white 409 and the guy driving it had on white coveralls. Maybe it was Don Nicholson or Dave Strickler. From the sound of it it couldn't be Hayden Proffitt and I think I have told the story as if it were. Sorry Hayden. You still the man.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If it was white coveralls it probably was Nicholson, he always wore white coveralls.
Hayden Proffitt also raced Pontiacs in the early 60's. I have an old Drag News that has him winning at Pamona in a Pontiac. He raced one of the Tin Indians that had the light weight front ends.
Also I don't think the Z-11 came in the 62 only in 63. Maybe the Z-11 was retrofitted in the 62. I know Hayden and Whiley Cossey got feed up with the Factories in the late 60's and quit racing factory cars. The bean counters ruined it for a lot of racers.
I've got a couple of stories about some super stock racers like Dyno Don racing a kid in a go cart. Maybe I'll put them on another post.:p Roy

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Haydens A/FX Comet

Hey SS425HP

you mean this picture

Attachments

• haydencomet.jpg
    haydencomet.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 554

oil4kids

Well Known Member
HAydens Corvair rocket

not to mention Hayden Proffitts Corvair Pocket Rocket

Attachments

• proffittcorvair.jpg
    proffittcorvair.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 503

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Hayden Profffitts A/xf Poncho

heres the rare picture of Hayden Proffitts AFX Pontiac vs some darn dodge

Attachments

• haydenafxponcho.jpg
    haydenafxponcho.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 599

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hayden Proffitt

I'm new to this site but in looking through all the posts this past Monday night, and saw all the remarks about Hayden, I knew I had to register. I just came back home this Sunday from a trip to Texas and a 3 day stay with Hayden. I'm pleased to announce that Hayden is alive and well!!!!

I met Hayden originally in 1988. Dear friends, Tom and Linda Jacobson called and said I needed to get a plane ticket to Charlotte. Frank Spittle was having a 25th Reunion of all the 1963 Super Stock racers at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Tom knew I wanted to meet Hayden, they were (still are!!) good friends. Tom said he would meet me at the airport.
When I walked off the plane onto the concourse, I couldn't find Tom or Linda at all. Suddenly, this big burly guy in a straw cowboy hat, cowboy boots and long sleeved pearly button cowboy shirt walked right up to me....put his arms around me, hugged me and gave me a kiss!!!! This was my first introduction to Hayden Proffitt!!!!!! Tom and Linda had set him up to do this to me!! When I finallly realized who he was...I dropped my briefcase and got out my Hot Rod magazine from 1962 and had him autograph it right there in the airport!!!

The racers that were in attendance were unbelieveable!!!! I can't type fast enough to list everything here!! But Hayden and I became friends that weekend. On Sunday, as we were getting ready to leave, there were about 8 of us setting around on the couches in the lobby of the hotel. Hayden and Don Nicholson were there. Not one to start anything, I said to Don.."Don, I just met Hayden this weekend, and he tells me that everytime he raced you....he always won"!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! Don said..." the only thing that Hayden had that was faster than me...was his mouth"!!!!! The whole conversation was priceless!!

So in 1988 at Super Chevy Sunday in Indy, we knew that Hayden was going to be inducted into the Super Chevy Hall of Fame. Another friend, Delmer McAfee, had contacted Doug Marion and was building a replica of the red Cone Chevrolet 409 Belair as a surprise for Hayden to drive...just like he drove in 1962. This is the same car that has had it's picture posted here a couple of days ago. Hayden was suprised to say the least. They let him make a pass at 1:00 Sunday afternoon before the Super Chevy final rounds started.

Then at Super Chevy in Dallas in 1989, I had Hayden and the car in my booth on Manufacturer's Midway. We were selling Hayden Proffitt t-shirts (I'm sorry but they are all gone!!!!). Hayden was autographing the shirts and a photograph for all the guys who bought them. It was a great weekend!!!

Hayden and I have stayed in touch through the years. I had threatened to come down to Texas to go fishing with Hayden for years and it was just this past week I was able to do so. I spent 3 days with him and it was incredible!!! He is 76 years old and still sharp as a tach and his wit and funny-bone are still intact!!! I wish I would have had a tape recorder.

Hayden started racing in the 50's in Texas. He used to ride bulls bareback in the rodeo!!! He was a licensed plumber in LA!! Moved to LA and was racing a 1961 Pontiac Catalina, I believe, plus a 61 Pontiac Tempest. Bought his own 62 409 Belair and to run in Super Stock class, you were required to have a name of a dealership on the side of your car. That's how Cone Chevrolet ended up there. In 63, Hayden had a Z-11. In 62, Chrysler approached Hayden to drive for them but he told them...in true Hayden style......that their 61 and 62 cars were too UGLY for him to drive!!!! He said if he had a dog that ugly, he'd shave it's ### and have it walk home backwards!!!!! So when Chevrolet dropped out of racing in 1963...Hayden had to eat his words!!! He negioated a deal with Plymouth...cause he said their cars were better looking now!!!!..for 4 1964 Plymouths....1 was kept in New Jersey, one in Texas and 2 in LA. Those were the Yeakle Plymouths and they cost Hayden exactly $1 each!!! He raced them in 64 and 65. Then came the famous 66 427 Corvair match race car!!! Then came the only race Rambler in the World..the AMX!!!!!!!!! Only Hayden could pull off something like this !!!

Hayden got out of racing for 6 or 7 years and then bought his son Brad a rocket car. It's turned something like 351MPH in a quarter!!! GEEEZW!!!! Hayden said Brad was having so much fun in the rocket car that he went out and bought himself a jet car!! I think he raced that into the mid 80's!! When you see pictures of his jet car, you notice how far forward he sits. I remarked about that. He said if he ever had a wreck...he would have a front row seat and see everything!!!!!

Hayden loves to fish now and spend time with his wife June, and son Lee and his 2 grandsons, who live nearby. He has not lost any of his memory...except maybe a couple of races he lost!! He truely is a treasure!! I wish I had the time...and the ability to type using more than 2 fingers...to fill you all in. One night, some drunk was trying to steal the 66 427 Corvair in the motel parking lot. Must have wanted a joy ride. Anyway, I guess Hayden hears the comotion and comes flying out of the motel room with just his boxer shorts on and a .45 in his shorts!!!! I asked him if he really tried to shoot him...#ell yes as long as I didn't hit the ignition switch, he said!!!! He has stories on all the racers of that time, plus Johnny Rutherford, Fireball Roberts, it goes on and on!!! His FAVORITE saying...as we were going through all the pictures I had, if there were 2 cars together, like off the starting line...he would say...' I KICKED HIS #SS!!!! I don't know how many times he said it in 3 days!!! MasterCard isn't priceless...this was!!!!

Gee, guess I've rambled too long for my first post. But if you've read this far, I would like to offer up a contest question for my first time here. I will mail FREE OF CHARGE, an autographed picture of Hayden in the replica 62 409 Belair, to the first person who posts the correct answer to the following question:

What does Hayden's number 612 on all his race cars stand for? It's real interesting!!!

Guess I'll sign off for now. Thanks for letting me share!!

Phil Reed

PS: Last I heard about Don Nicholson, his health was failing with Alzheimer's disease.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The man

Thanks for the story. I remember making a phone call to him years ago (the early 80's) only to ask him if the car was still around and for sale. I had totalled my first 62 BelAir Sport Coupe and was searching for a relacement car. I didn't know he is in Texas now....I am as well.

Is the 612 reference his birthday?

Cheers,
Tom

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom and Linda

Phil, we raced Tom Jacobson at Lions in 65. Old Blue, I think. This was when we were staying at Hayden's shop. Hayden introduced us to Sig Erson, who had just quit Isky, and was making his own cams. Sig had a cam for the 409, which he wanted us to try. We installed it at Hayden's shop, and the car came alive. As I remember, it was a 990B grind. We got the car into the 11s that year, on 7" slicks. I found an erson cam, no 1000, which was supposed to be the same, when I put the car together I have now. It was a screamer, but not streetable. Had to take it back out.
Wasn't Tom Jacobson making or had someone making 409 headers a while back? A tri-Y design? I had some that were supposed to be from his shop, but not sure it was true. The ports were small, like a 348.
When we were at Hayden's shop, he had a fellow working for him named Les Shockley, I believe. I think this is the same guy that has jet trucks, today. I think his son drives them.
Also, Hayden had a German Shephard watch dog. Can't remember the name. The dog was always on a chain out back. This dog would whine and carry on to make you think she wanted to be petted. But, if you got within the reach of the chain, you were dead meat. She was treacherous. Hayden could handle her, of course. We would all have to leave before he turned her loose at night. One night, working late, He brought her in early. We all had a few beers, and Hayden proceeded to feed her some. She got a little tipsy. We were just about all on top of cars to stay out of her way. Think we went out windows that night. The dog was nuts.
By the way, you forgot the Comet Hayden had in 65. Had it a short while. My recollection was that he gave it back, as he got tired of getting Dyno's hand me down parts. Also # 612. Have movies of it.
Have some other stories that I really wouldn't want to share in an open forum!
The man was a lot of fun. I envy you on your visit. And, one of the best tuners there ever was.

Fred

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Hayden story

Great Story Phil!!

612 was probably Haydens NHRA license number, I doubt he could have punched out his 409 to 612 CI. Theres also a pretty famous 612 RAF fighter squadron.

He would be too young to have served on NAVY PT 612, which by the way had 3 supercharged V-12 Packard engines about 1200 HP..each

Mark

Attachments

• p2p8-engine-02.jpg
    p2p8-engine-02.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 275