Z11 Heads on eBay

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had the high bid on these for about an hour!! Hopefully someone can put them to use.
Ross

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
in 1983 i bought a set ready to run with the guide plates, pushrods, rockers, square corner rocker covers, valley pan and intake for $1800. got them from my freind Malcolm Durham.
in 1984 i opened Custom Automotive and had to sell the set. got $2500

fast forward: 2001 i find a set in michigan, heads, intake and valley. the guy has 2 sets of everything and tells me $12000 i reply, "i only need one set" his reply, "that is for 1 set"
GEEZ, how times have changed.
used to be a set of 690's was worth $200 ready to drive and BBC square port open chambers would bring $1000. now the iron BBC heads are only worth scrap except for the date# guys
sorry for babbling........i'm still in shock

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Z-11 Mystery 427

He doesn't list or picture if the pushrod guide plates are included.
Very important part of a Z-11 head assembly.
Allen

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Same kind of story....

Bob:

I had the same kind of story......

Went to my first swap meet in 1981. There was a complete 63 dated 400HP 409 except for air cleaner. My 63 is a 400HP car. This engine was totally together...drippers, exhaust manifolds, carb, idler....yada yada yada!!!!!

He WANTED $200 for everything.............that was too much so I offered $150.

THAT DIRTY **S***D SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE:doh :doh :evil :evil :takethat :takethat :beerbang :beerbang :bang :bang

I had a wise man tell me many years ago..........." You never pay too much for these car parts. Now......you might buy them too soon!!!!" That's truer today that it was 20 years ago!!!!

Oh well..................

bobs409

Administrator
Went to my first swap meet in 1981. There was a complete 63 dated 400HP 409 except for air cleaner. My 63 is a 400HP car. This engine was totally together...drippers, exhaust manifolds, carb, idler....yada yada yada!!!!!

He WANTED $200 for everything.............that was too much so I offered $150.

Reminds me of my 409. At age 16, about 1982, found my 63 400hp 409 complete for $250.

That was alot of money to a 16 year old but I would have sold my soul for it! :eek: :D

Can you imagine going back in time and hitting some of your local junkyards? :eek: I'd be in heaven. :)

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Lets see, $7000 for used heads that are shaved or $5900 for brand new Lamar Walden Z11 Heads that flow better....and enough left over for the intake

Attachments

• z11head.jpg
    z11head.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 177

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I'm with you Mark, but if you're restoring a Z-11 you don't really have a choice. By the way....the bidding is not over! Who wants to guess what the final price will be?? $15,000? $20,000? MORE?? Who knows. I just finished watching American Hot Rod (taped) with the green '59 Bel Air 'roadster' ( http://www.billetwheel.com/projects/impala.htm ). That car sold at the Barrett-Jackson auction for $380,000 (the original car cost $25,500!) ( http://www.boydsauction.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=12 LOT 799). If you spend $400k on a car what's $30,000 for a set of super rare heads.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some one may have posted this in the past, but does any one know how many sets were sold over the counter? They may have cost 3 times what a 690 cost back then. I've run into stock car guys by me that ran them and when they blew up, thay scrapped the motors with the Z stuff still on. Sad. Bob

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
gearhead, I graduated from high school in 64... AT that time I remember the benchmark was $100 a week. Anybody making $100 a week was considered " well off". I never made it. :doh

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Gearhead and Ronnie you are right about the times. I went to work for Gates Chevrolet in South Bend Indiana in 63. About $86 a week, and that more than payed for the brand new 63 Biscayne 409 I bought from them for $104 a month. Boy those days were fun.
QS409

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
Forget the new aluminum heads...somebody make a time machine. You fellows have pretty great memories. Post some photos of your '63 409.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Forget the new aluminum heads...somebody make a time machine. You fellows have pretty great memories. Post some photos of your '63 409.

same car, same track, 23 years different. 75-80 in maryland. 1982-2005. my car was raced at york us30 dragway when purchesed new until i got it in 1976.
I never installed my set of Z11 heads, i thought i would blow them up.........and i better sell them while they were worth something. :roll
I did drive the car for years with an original aluminum front bumper on it. but that got sold as well.
YEP.............wish i woulda kept that stuff.

Attachments

• last 409 pass.JPG
    last 409 pass.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 63@75-80.jpg
    63@75-80.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 146

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob:
I like the name of your picture "last409pass" I am guessing that was at 75-80 also. I raced at 75-80 only a few times with the GTX (unsuccessful I might add!) and never came back you guys beat me every time. That was when they put me up in B stock I think. Or was it C?? Too many moons ago!!!!
Robert

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
and the winner is?

Phil Reed. Dine o mite. Nice buy! For you or a client? come on and spill the beans.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
?????

I'm not sure. You get people all the time that say they "want" a Z-11 but at crunch time, they have to wait!!!!

They are just a pair of heads I can use in putting the whole puzzle together!!

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil is very correct. I missed a top half many years ago. The seller asked me if I knew what was more rare than a Z-11 top half. He said people that would actually buy them. It's like Denny always sez. "Let's see how many of those buulshooters are caring money". Bob