Z11 heads

Robert Jacobson

I have a question that I would like answered for my own information. Reading about the Z11 engine I have read that the Z11 had aluminum heads from the factory. Is this true? Thanks for any information to clarify this.

427John

Well Known Member
I have a question that I would like answered for my own information. Reading about the Z11 engine I have read that the Z11 had aluminum heads from the factory. Is this true? Thanks for any information to clarify this.
The Buick 300 was probably the first example of american V-8 to be a mainstream production engine with iron block and aluminum heads in 1964,with the all aluminum 215 v-8 preceding that for a few years.Corvette nearly got that distinction in 1960 with the # 461 aluminum heads but casting porosity problems derailed that.Ford cast a few sets of aluminum 427 MR heads for their GT-40 program but they could hardly be considered production,same goes for the sets of aluminum 426 hemi heads that Mopar had cast for their S/S drag program.Those both happened in the late 64-early 65 timeframe.Then the most well known example the L-88 came to pass,I think Chevy was pretty gun shy after the problems with the 1960 heads and waited until there was more experience with them before trying again.

427John

Well Known Member
It would also not be surprising for a set to surface that was part of some factory skunkworks racing development program,surely everyone's seen the hot rod articles from the 60's that highlighted different manufacturer's experimental engine programs,there was lot's of crazy stuff being experimented with back then.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Buick 300 was probably the first example of american V-8 to be a mainstream production engine with iron block and aluminum heads in 1964,with the all aluminum 215 v-8 preceding that for a few years.Corvette nearly got that distinction in 1960 with the # 461 aluminum heads but casting porosity problems derailed that.Ford cast a few sets of aluminum 427 MR heads for their GT-40 program but they could hardly be considered production,same goes for the sets of aluminum 426 hemi heads that Mopar had cast for their S/S drag program.Those both happened in the late 64-early 65 timeframe.Then the most well known example the L-88 came to pass,I think Chevy was pretty gun shy after the problems with the 1960 heads and waited until there was more experience with them before trying again.
I was going to mention the Oldsmobile Jetfire in 62-63 but it was an all aluminum V8 not cast iron block as I was thinking. Still such a cool car. I have a JETFUEL tank that held the water injection system in the engine bay. Found it in a scrap pile. Gave $2 for the entire pile. Thing is mint and the scrappers had no idea what it was.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It would also not be surprising for a set to surface that was part of some factory skunkworks racing development program,surely everyone's seen the hot rod articles from the 60's that highlighted different manufacturer's experimental engine programs,there was lot's of crazy stuff being experimented with back then.
If they did......PAT would have them!!!!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
:bore3........this could go on for ever.......... it’s the the internals that are so expensive....... it’s the drive line you need to accomadate the the motor you just built........car, garage, gifts just as expensive to satisfy the wife...... ect.ect.