ZL-1 ahead of it's time?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A friend had a ZL-1 block and found it had priority oiling. Mains got oil first, just like aftermarket blocks made 20 years later. Wonder why this didn't catch on?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The factory knew that these engines would grow to around 500 cu.ins.,and would see around 7500 in road race tune[think early Can-Am].The iron blocks at that time wouldn't be pushed to that same level,so they really didn't need priority oiling anyway is my thinking.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Bob, you mean one of these:

1_zpsqlbhwfqv.jpg

Just so happens I have one of the originals! Just a little stocker, check out the heads and intake, OEM!!!

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Well after the first dyno hit there was some issues, WITH THE DYNO not reading correct. We figured that the motor pictured above hit a "carb-choked" 776Hp at only 6600 RPM as the the second carb, Holley Hp100 didn't flow enough air. Should have peaked about 7100 RPM.

So there's more there. Hoping for just over 800Hp out of the stock looking motor!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I drooled over the first one I saw back int he 70s in a Camaro! What is on the inside? Carb size?

Years ago I bought an 812 Holley DP that was in a GM box I ran on my 409 when I was a single 4bbl. Speed shop I used bought a bunch being discontinued for cheap.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
I drooled over the first one I saw back int he 70s in a Camaro! What is on the inside? Carb size?

Skip, here are some specs:

- 1969 "052" block, 100 over
- Eagle 4" stroke so 475 inches
- Eagle +.250 rods
- Je 13-1 pistons
- .904 Comp roller lifters
- .715 .258 on .114 Comp cam
- trends pushrods
- 1969 "074" heads ported with 2.25/1.94 valves
- Comp 1.7 roller rockers
- 1969 "198" dual plane intake ported
- reworked Holley 830

830 didn't run worth a pinch of crap. GREAT throttle response, but was done before 6000RPM. Manifold vac shot up to over 2.1 with the modified 830. The shops Hp 1000 that was on the 468 that made 709Hp and 713Tq was all done on my engine by 65/6600.

Do doing a few other things and just got the new billet Bryan shaft for my "intermediate" Hp motor, so will be working on these for the next bit, but doubt will be back to dyno till fall.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Thanks Skip. I like the "stock" look, but runs like a scared cat! Will LOVE to see peoples faces when I open the hood and it looks STOCK but for the headers, then runs really hard.

Honestly, I was a bit let down with the numbers (776Hp) but when we figure in that it should have been over 800 at 7100 where we modeled it to be, that made me feel better. I will be happy with ANYTHING over 800.

I know the engine shop DOES NOT want me to put my 4500 on there, but I am going to just to see. My Dale Cubic (CFM carbs) "special" 4500 will run good and I know that carb has been on many engines and ALWAYS picked up ET. from big in SBF to 577 EXTREME BBc to my own 1250+Hp 498 motor. So I will know there is no carb choking going on.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It sure would be cool to crack 800 hp with a stock looking engine like that. :clap
I'm sure there are plenty of people that say it can't be done with a factory dual plane and 4150 carb.
Good luck on your next dyno session. :beer

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
It sure would be cool to crack 800 hp with a stock looking engine like that. :clap
I'm sure there are plenty of people that say it can't be done with a factory dual plane and 4150 carb.:beer

LOL actually pretty much EVERYONE says no way you can get 800 with that OEM dual-plane intake! Carbs sorta a non-issue as the new carb flows more than a lot of 4500 carbs.

So was hoping for this year, but that's not gonna happen to get to TMP. Should have a whole stable of different powerplants for both cars. Be nice when were at TMP and people will look at my '69 Nova as a "mild" stocker with then engine above, rally wheels all around and the absence of traction bars. THEN the car will run the number and they'll be like "where's the Nitrous"!!! LOL

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I was at Laguna Seca last Friday 19th for qualifying for the historic racing last weekend and spotted a McLaren racing car from the late 60's, all aluminium BBC with Chev casting numbers, I spoke to one of the guys and asked him if it was a ZL-1 427, he stated it was a particular engine builder, of 468 CI.
My question how many all aluminium BBC engines went into this type of racing.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
T numbers I hear for the 052 1969 Zl-1 "production" blocks are 350-400 units. About 75 went into production Camaro and Vettes. Rest were over the counter. Then GM changed to the 053 blocks. Don't know how many of them were cast before GM sold of the molds to Don Yenko who continued to product the GM style production blocks for years.
Then you have the Reynolds Can-Am blocks/castings. These were what I hear when talking to people about racing teams using ZL-1 motors. Some even went from the standard 4.250 bores to 4.500! But also these racing Reynolds blocks DID NOT use steel sleeves in there blocks. Just sort of thin protective coating over the Alum bore. This in turn pretty much made these blocks disposible from what the guys that have them say to me. Sounds like the steel rings on. 003 deep treatments of the bores didn't really protect the Alum bores much.

FYI, John

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
T numbers I hear for the 052 1969 Zl-1 "production" blocks are 350-400 units. About 75 went into production Camaro and Vettes. Rest were over the counter. Then GM changed to the 053 blocks. Don't know how many of them were cast before GM sold of the molds to Don Yenko who continued to product the GM style production blocks for years.
Then you have the Reynolds Can-Am blocks/castings. These were what I hear when talking to people about racing teams using ZL-1 motors. Some even went from the standard 4.250 bores to 4.500! But also these racing Reynolds blocks DID NOT use steel sleeves in there blocks. Just sort of thin protective coating over the Alum bore. This in turn pretty much made these blocks disposible from what the guys that have them say to me. Sounds like the steel rings on. 003 deep treatments of the bores didn't really protect the Alum bores much.

FYI, John
I met Paul Wright from the former P&S foundry and he told me he and his partner made over 400 of those blocks for Yenko.
They were based in Akron.