348 rebuild

6064ELNO

Finally after many years I am starting the rebuild of my 348. Took nine months to get it back from the machine shop. Bored out 30 thousands, original crank standard, new pistons from Show Cars on original rods. Howard's rattler cam , Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. Aces fuel injection.

Going back in my 60 ElCamino.

Attachments

• 20240504_151409.jpg
    20240504_151409.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15

6064ELNO

I haven't built a motor since I was 16 and my grandfather helped me rebuild a 235 for my 63 Chevy.. yesterday I my son and my grandson worked together to install the crank and seven of the eight pistons. The eighth one we broke the tip on the second ring. Had to order a full set from Show Cars. They were out of single piston sets and their supplier refused to break up a full set.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Which piston did you get,9.5-1[no valve notches],10.5[has intake notches],or Icon forged[has notches for both valves]? With the cam you've chosen you're going to have to notch the piston for pv clearence if you have the 9.5-1 piston,maybe even the 10.5 especially because of the larger 2.19 dia.intake valves.If you have the Icon forgings,you won't have an issue as there';s plenty of notch.Failure to correct this WILL result in bent valves

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
6064ELNO - Your build pretty much mirrors what my build has evolved to be.
My math puts these builds in the 353 CU & 340 HP range.

Awaiting delivery of my Show cars 8935P30 348 10.5x1 .030 pistons and ring order before my shop will bore the block.
Went with BWR Heads over Edlebrock, but both offer 2.19 & 1.72 valves.
My cam choice being: Howards 131101-12 & HRC91111 selected to keep a 112 lobe for EFI.
I also had to convert my Generator to an Alternator to get 80 amp supporting EFI

ACES remote ECU IMO trumps Holley and others against EFI interference.
Their 32 bit software technology is impressive like non other in this league.
Curious... Did you go with their ACES Killshot or Royal Flush model?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those are the Icon pistons.There's plenty of clearance for the piston/valve. This should be a nice build.