283 to 348 engine swap questions

hotwheel

My '34 ford has a 283 in it. I want to swap over to 348 and was wondering what issues I might have with the engines length, distributor location, etc. Dimensionally, how do these engines compare?

Thanks!

bobs409

Administrator
The engine mounts are in the exact same spot as a small or big block Chevy so it should drop in. Be sure to use beefier motor mounts made for either big block or W motor.

Here is an exerpt from our FAQ that mentions size (see last paragraph):
============
Q: Why are the 348 and 409's called "W" motors?

A: When the 265 came out in 1955, it's larger size was greatly accepted by the public and Chevrolet realized that this trend would continue far into the future with bigger and bigger engines. The problem is the 265 could only grow so big (to 327 cu. inches).

Another problem was the small block had torque limitations in a low rpm range that made it less than desirable for heavier models w/automatic transmissions and unsuitable as a truck engine.

Chevrolet came out with 3 test engines to meet this problem labeled, "W", "X", and "Y".

The "X" and "Y" were bored out versions of the 265 displacing 300 cubes. The "X" model kept the 3" stroke while increasing the bore to 4 inches. The "Y" engine had an increased stroke (3.3 inches) and a bore of 3 13/16 inches.

Neither were what they were looking for but these engines did lead up to the 283.

Last was the "W" engine. What was needed was an engine with not only another 50 cubes but one that had room to expand 60 inches beyond that. It also had to be small enough to fit into a passenger car. It had to bolt into car as well as trucks.

The "W" engine met all these requirements. The final product was only 1 1/2 inches longer, 2 1/2 inches wider, and 7/8 inch shorter than the 265.

===================

Bob

Tman

Well Known Member
Yeah man, if I can offer any help with measurements, feel free to contact me here or on the HAMB. I have the same mill in my touring and can say the only issue might be with stock hood sides, dont know if you are running them or not? Got a pic of how the 283 is mounted in the hole?