348 3 x 2 intake

josh

Hi guys, I have a couple of stupid questions. Are the 348 3 x 2 intake manifolds compatible with the 409? I am assuming that the ports would match? Also, has anybody heard of overheating problems with a 409 bored 60 over(low compression pistons). Any help would be great, thanks.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
3X2 intake

The 3X2 348 intake will only fit the 340 Hp 409 heads. Ports will not correctly line up with the 583 or 690 high HP heads and I believe some bolt holes will not line up. Should not have over heating problems with .60 over bore. If you are, there is most likely another problem. I have a 348 bored .125 with no problem.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

josh

Thanks for the Heads up. I have the low compression heads that were from a 64 truck block. The motor only have 252 hp. You saying that the 3 x 2 setup will not fit these heads?

Thanks,

Josh

josh

I actually have the head casting number from my 409(3819333). I was under the impression that this heads were also used on the 62-65 348/409 trucks engines thus assuming that the 3 x 2 intake would match?

Thanks,

Josh

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
3x2

The 348 3X2 will work on the 333 truck heads.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
.060" bore

Josh:

I've got a 409 block bored .100" and no problems with overheating. Had mine sonic checked before spending $$$ just to be sure. You should be OK there.

Also I'm currently rebuilding a 409 block that is .060" over, using the lower performance iron heads from a 348 (1147s -- but those were the high performance versions for the 348 before the big heads came out). Plans are to mount 3x2 on those heads. Yours will fit just fine. And look good as well!

Good luck with your project!

TomK

josh

Thanks for the advice

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice. It's good to know that a rookie like me can get some answers. Great forum, appreciate the help. Look forward to posting more questions that I should already know!

Thanks,

Josh

josh

Tom

Tom, did you buy a complete rebuild kit? I was going to salvage some of the stuff I have but I can get everthing from dr409 for about $900. Would you recommend the cats pistons or the Forged aluminum? I think the cast pistons would be fine considering the motor I have?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cast or forged pistons

Josh, how much money are you going to save using cast pistons? I think you will find that most people on this forum would advise you to get the forged pistons. They cost more, but it's like insurance. The problem is, we build these things and say we are never going to be rough on them. Won't spin it up over 6000 RPM. Next thing you know, some kid in a Mustang pulls up beside you, and away you go. Never thinking about those cast pistons. Or, heaven forbid, the throttle hangs open. Forged pistons are well worth the money. That's just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinion, too. It's your money.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
pistons

I agree 100%, forged is the only way to go. Most of the cast pistons, for the W head engines, do not have the steel insert at the piston pin area that the factory pistons had and will crack in that area with enough high RPM. I understand IGGE will make pistons with this insert, but I bet they will cost as much as the Ross forged.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
piston question

I've got a really low mile truck 409 that was purchased as a replacement engine in 1970. Do I understand that these pistons will will have the steel inserts and handle 6000 or so RPM ? I was planning on leaving the pistons because they are almost new, but 690 heads, MSD, mild hyd cam, roller rockers and a tripower adapted to a dual four manifold. I've got some trick stuff in mind for the intake........ I have been under the impression that even factory cast pistons had about a 5000 RPM limit.

Any advice on what those pistons will handle........ safely of course??????

Thanks
Dave

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
dont do it

Hate to see you loose a $10,000 engine for $600 worth of pistons. Factory cast from the 60s has to be as bad as it gets. Float a valve and touch the top and its all over.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would think that valve hitting piston would make a mess of any engine , reguardless of piston material. EGGE pistons now come with steel inserts and are $295 , at least that was the last price I paid. I think cast pistons are safe for a 250 hp 348 A/T and 340 hp 409 A/T. Skip Fix raced a 340 hp short block in the 70s with big heads,ketc.. and ran 12s. Millions of cars have gone hundreds of millions of miles with cast pistons. If you use standard trans,. then you will experience the "human factor" that Fred mentioned. Every once in a while, you just gotta nail it . So much fun, you gotta do it again and again. Sooner or later, missed shift, over rev. Pin boss failure is the real problem with cast piston. Too many rpms and the game is over. I do agree with everyone that forged is the only way to go, due to the expense of building these W-heads. But I have several LO-Perf W-heads running around out there with cast pistons. So far , no failures. Forged is way better. No argument here. But I do think there is a certain type car that cast is acceptable. Just my opinion. ( I know, just MY opinion)...........

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Reply to question

Josh asks: "Tom, did you buy a complete rebuild kit?"

I purchased my parts individually for my stroker build. CPG advised on the selection of the pistons and cam, and I used the local speed shop for valve train work. Did the assembly myself (fun!).

I went with forged pistons from Ross. For the $300 differnce in an expensive build, I felt this was the way for me to go. I can see your point in saving cash by going with cast pistons, hey lots of guys are driving around in them. I just felt better with forged pistons, given the potency of my build (probably around 500 horses).

Good luck with your decision making!

TomK

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
just a dent

Forged piston will take a slight hit without breaking apart. OLD cast will shatter and leave the rod to punch a hole in the cylinder. If you are just cruising around cast is not a problem.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Go with the forged pistons and save money somewhere else as in bolt on stuff like heads and such.
ALWAYS build the lower end to handle more then you will use and upgrade the bolt on stuff later as you have the money.
As others have said,,, forged pistons are a great investment on the insurance end,,,dq

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Didn't the factory 409 truck engines come with forged pistons?
My opinion, go with the forged on any rebuild were you are going to buy new pistons anyway. Same reasons as stated before.