348 Radiator specs

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was wondering if any one could tell me if the what appears to be original radiator (2 row) was the same for 327 and 348 alike? By the details in this website they were the same in 1960 but were they two row:dunno I am running a 454 can anyone tell me what would be a good radiator to keep her cool, Steve

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
There was somone selling some alumimum? (at least i think) radiators on ebay for a 64, dont know if it is the same size though.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Not sure about 1960.....
My father's '61 has a 348 with a 4 row radiator. He says it's the same radiator that came with the car when he bought it new in March of 1961.

Hope this info helps somehow..

Regards.:cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
1963 was the first year for a factory 4-core radiator......340HP 409 with factory air. All 400HP and 425HP had 3-core. You will definately need a 4-core wth the 454.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1963 was the first year for a factory 4-core radiator......340HP 409 with factory air. All 400HP and 425HP had 3-core. You will definately need a 4-core wth the 454.

Hi Phil, So originally a 60 with a 327, 348 would have had a 2 or three row radiator?
Cheers
Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Not sure about 1960.....
My father's '61 has a 348 with a 4 row radiator. He says it's the same radiator that came with the car when he bought it new in March of 1961.

Hope this info helps somehow..

Regards.:cheers

Thanks, what HP is the motor in the 61?

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, weren't the 409 3 core radiators a couple of inches longer? Larry

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With that Big Block your going to need all the cooling help you can get. Regardless of what was in the car originally:nono1: you need a 4 core period:D

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Was going to most likely run 4 core, just wondered what the radiator in it was from. Seems to be a few cros flow radiators available for it, are they any more efficient? Steve

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Try BeCool

BeCool radiators claim big cooling potential. Their site is:

https://www.becool.com

They appear to have direct fit replacements which support upto 700 hp. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck!

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The heat created by an engine is more an effect of compression ratio, overbore and horsepower than cubic inch. I have a three row radiator in a Chevelle with 350 HP 396 and it has no problem with overheating. On the other hand a 427, 425 HP, that is .090 over bore in another car can not be kept cool in traffic with a four core radiator.

It is like everything on these cars, you need to match the parts to what you have done to modify it from original.

Bill

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Steve: you Can get in touch with a buddy of mine at www.classicradiator.com his name is Billy tell him what you have and he can hook you up with what you need to keep that Rat running cool. Ken

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Big Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help guys:cheers Will look into all of your suggestions.
The BB is std bore with flat tops and a mild cam nothing startling but with a 2.7 posi 12 bolt should have bags of torque to push her along at highway speeds ok (and maybe even do a skid) if the fun police dont catch me.:takethat Do most of you guys run with standard configuration radiators and not cross flow?
Steve

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't.

I had overheating issues in slow traffic with the stock 3 row radiator. All was cured with a Griffith 2 row aluminum, stock look and flow. Got it from show cars.