'58 348 heads

I just got a 348 block. Its the old 58 model that can only use the 58 heads. I am having trouble finding these is there any way I can use another set of heads. Or does it have to be those heads.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
someone else will answer this better than me I'm sure, but I think it depends on the block. the real early ones did not even have the metal boss casted for the sparkplug cooling holes so instalation of later heads would mean the cooling holes in the heads would be open (does that make sense) the later 1958 blocks had the boss but the holes were not drilled, in which case you could drill them, or just use an early head gasket and cover them up. I have both sets of those heads though one set is prettu rough, but still salvagable, I think.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Belaircouple, If you live near the Red River, you are in my area. I have one 791 head I will sell for 1 cent, but will not ship. Sorry, its just not worth the effort.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
later heads

If the casting has the flat spot for the hole, just drill it using a gasket as a template. If not, the other heads work if you braze up that single hole and they do still provide cooling to the plug. Easy machine shop fix either way.

Casting number

I am in the red river area, Norman. This is the casting #3732811 date #I-2757. Thanks for the help. I hope this helps you guys out trying to help me out. And I would be willing to pay for freight if the heads are cheap enough. Surely UPS ground couldnt be that expensive :dunno Thanks again for all the help I also have pics of the block if that would help anyone. But if I can just have a machine shop braze the holes, I would rather do that so I can use any heads I find. Im going to the Chicksha Swap Meet next weekend and Hope to find some heads for the block.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
use a head gasket

Lay a 1959 or later head gasket on the block and check where the water passage hole should go. If the gasket lays flat on that spot, you just drill the hole for 8 spots. If not weld up the head so the passage is laying flat as if it were not drilled. I have seen JB welded plug cooling passages that worked without leaking. (don't do that though) Either way works. It's just iron.

348 pic 3732811

Here is a pic of my block. I compared to the pic on the one in the photo area. Mine seems to be missing some small holes right? Im not at home to go out to the garage and look at it. Mine also has the notch in it. I thought that was for truck blocks? Or do I have my mind wired backwards.

Attachments

• b8_1_b[1].jpg
    b8_1_b[1].jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 72

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
that is indeed the early one, if you use late model heads you will have to plug the holes in the heads intended for spark plug cooling. also all 348's had notches in the top of the cylinders, some had two.

Heads

Bandit Auto Parts said:
Have a set of early 348 heads for 1958 motor,if your interested I'll ckeck out the numbers-Bandit/Sal
Could you please check the numbers. Ill get a later set and braze them if I have too. But if I dont have too the better. Thanks.