62 trunk refinish

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Need some input on trunk mats. When I redid my trunk interior 20 years ago I resprayed the it with the gray/white splatter paint from Plasti-kote and clear coated everything. Looked great. The problem is the aftermarket 3 piece rubber mat set that that is sold as a replacement to the wimpy factory mats which had foam rubber under the patterned vinyl upper face. The problem is that the rubber mats stick to the painted surface and are difficult to remove without peeling some paint off. I had some areas peel off the factory red oxide primer. I found three layers of paint came off cleanly, Gold exterior overspray, factory spatter paint, and my 20 year old gray/white paint all stuck together. My question is how to prevent these rubber mats from sticking again after I redo the trunk. What are other members experiencing. THANKS, LEO:dunno:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Your getting really good at this Cecil. I think you just helped me with a problem I haven't even had yet! :D Good idea. :deal

There won't be any sticking mats in my 63 now when I get that far. :clap

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I talked to the tech guy at Plasti-Kote this morning and he said the base coat spatter paint they sell is enamel based and the recommended topcoat they sell is also enamel based. My sticking mat problem may be because I topcoated the previous spatter paint with LAQUER based satin clearcoat. My previous experience with laquer based clear on woodwork has proven to be inadequate in a moist environment. I am going to go with the recommended ENAMELl clear this time around.:cheers Leo

bobs409

Administrator
I always heard that spatter paint was water base and that was the reason to use clear over it. :?:dunno

Maybe the clear isn't really needed with the Plasti kote brand?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Leo, would you have the Plasti-Kote number of the spatter paint so I can order some..... how much did you use to do the trunk?? (if you can remember)

Thanks
Dave

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dave, Plasti-Kote has an excellent web site for their products. I used 2 cans of #500 gray/white and 2 cans of #505 clear topcoat. My trunk was still nice and only needed to be redone where the paint pulled off with the rubber mats. I resprayed the entire trunk with a light coat. Turned out great. They sell a kit with 3 base and 2 clear. If your trunk is in ruff shape, light gray primer will be much easier to cover evenly. BOB, the Plasti-Kote tech guy told me the base coat needed to be topcoated with clear for "added protection". I am assuming he meant added protection from scuffing since it has a rough textured surface and will not get the hard finish regular enamel paint has. The trunk turned out great. Leo

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Leo. Plasti Kote make a great product. I have a really nice set of factory valve covers that I painted argent silver. I've had them for several years and I'm guessing it was about 3 years ago I painted them with Plasti Kote Chevy orange. I took them to a friends place with a timing cover to sand blast. The blaster took the factory paint off of the timing cover with no problem....... the valve covers were a different story. I probably spent an hour or more on the first one...... the blaster would hardly take the shine off of the Plasti Kote. I finally gave up and just wet sanded them because the paint just wouldn't budge !!!

Dave