A reason I will never buy a 409

kodamar

Well Known Member
Then again, maybe we should find the guy who did that insane resto on the '61 'vert! This looks right up his alley!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm surprised some sap hasn't bid this car up to $85K since its a 409 convertible car like most of the nonsense on ebay :roll

oldimpala

Well Known Member
And here's a silly question....

I've worked on a half-a-dozen original 409 cars, and never, ever, ever seen a tag like that. Ever. 409 clues are usually far more subtle, like fuel lines and such.

I thought the GM Electro-Motive Division produced locomotives, not 409's. (I'm a recovering American-Flyer and HO train buff, too).

If someone can shed light on the GM/EMD tag, I'd be interested....

-Andy

bobs409

Administrator
A VIN won't tell if it's a 409 car and in most cases, neither will the trim tag. About the only thing someone can gain by using these tags would be to license a car that does not have a title now or for a stolen vehicle. :eek:

Bob

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see by Bob's avitar that his camera accidently shot a picture in his closet.:roll:roll
Ray

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Awww, it's just a little FELONY!

And too common.

I know a scum bucket in AZ who used to put Ferrari VIN tags on Kit cars, amazing he is still alive with the sort of coin he was stealing. :takethat

wally409

Well Known Member
Just saw a news story that ebay was fined 61-Million dollars by a French court by selling fake stuff over there. We need the same kind of thing going on here.
wally

kodamar

Well Known Member
It's sad that the values of things have gone up enough to encourage all kinds of fraud... Of course some of those fools at Barrett-Jackson were paying over $100,000 for cars that knew were Hemi clones!:dunno

482STROKER

Well Known Member
so what are those tags on the inner fenders supposed to be ? I have never seen anything like that before, I have seen a few 63 09 cars none had those tags that I can remember, I'll bet that was a pretty car when it was new, now its just pretty tore up.

Astro409

Well Known Member
And here's a silly question....

I've worked on a half-a-dozen original 409 cars, and never, ever, ever seen a tag like that. Ever. 409 clues are usually far more subtle, like fuel lines and such.

I thought the GM Electro-Motive Division produced locomotives, not 409's. (I'm a recovering American-Flyer and HO train buff, too).

If someone can shed light on the GM/EMD tag, I'd be interested....

-Andy

I don't have those tags on my 1964 convertible 409.:eek: But then again, I don't think that any1 with a real 409 car has them either.:dunno They look too rigged on there to be OEM. I doubt GM simply screw those plate on the inner fenders.:roll

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Your TRAIN of thought

GM locomotive division, nothing to do with automobiles. Although the 409 pulls like a train.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
There's a thread at CT regarding this very item.

h**p://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/193219/

I'll delete if desired, but it does shed some light on the subject.