California black plate question

fastcars

Well Known Member
I spoke with someone yesterday that made me double think what I thought the right. I have a 61 Impala that I purchased in 1994 from the original owner. I have all the paperwork and registration papers since 1970. I always thought my black CA license plates where original since 1961… even if they have “63” stamped on them. Now I’m being told that the original ones where the yellow plates with black letters and that the black plates where more than likely replacements put on my after 1963. Is this right?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
That is correct. Your car was first issued the yellow and black plate. Black plates were issued in 63. All cars were re-plated with black plates and you had to turn in your old plate. . You can now legally re-plate the car with a period correct yellow plate with DMV. Just find a number combination not in use and put up the money.

fastcars

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info. So to make my 61 look original, I need to locate some yellow plate. That wont be easy.

Now I have another question. This is regarding my 65 Impala. I purchased a 65 Impala almost 2 years ago and completely dismatled it. I kept the black plates and took the remainder of the car to the junk yard and watched them put it in the crusher. Since the car got crushed, can I use the plates for my 65 conv? DMV said that they cant because its registered to the salvage yard. I thought it is usable since it was crushed. I know DMV doesnt know everything and most of the time they are wrong when it comes to situations like this. What can I do?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
The old black plates must be clear on DMV files or they will not issue the number to you... You must bring the clear plates into the DMV office for inspections. Clear is: " Record not on file". Not salvage..

Use of black plates has only been legal for 2 months now under the new laws. Most DMV counter people are not up to speed.

To check clearance, go to the DMV personalized plate web site and try combinations of letters and numbers you have. If the site says you can have the numbers on that plate, they may issue them to you..

Many guys are having new black plates reproduced in clear number to avoid paying the high prices the used plate dealers are charging now for guaranteed DMV clear number plates..

409.gif