Cannot definitively say, but...

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
:p
Thank Rock,
Sounds like you have real info there. Any idea how many '09s were in thet shippment? do you know of any other shippment info to any other plants?
pretty neat stuff.....:D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Another question

Rock, that was a finely detailed response to a question that was just asked of me last weekend at a swap meet (I didn't know the answer then...). The initial question was "when was the first BBC installed", referring to the 396/425 horse engines put in those 1965 Corvettes. Now I know the date! I did know the year (1965) and the vehicle (Corvette) and the horse power rating (425)...

Another question that came up regarding to when the first 396 showed up in something other than a Corvette. As I recall, you could get the 396 in a passenger car in 1966, several horsepower varieties (325/350/375). A bit off topic, but do you have any idea when that earliest date might have been? Could you order a 325 horse 396 in a Caprice or a Chevelle in 1965?

I did purchase the 396/425 heads at the swap meet, not sure why. Can't seem to pass up a deal :). That lead me to a guy who has an original 396/425 horse engine from one of those Corvettes. So far he says he won't sell...

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 396 was put into Chevelles in 65. That was option Z-16 of which 201 were built. All 2dr hdtp SS cars. These were usually loaded with options to be paraded around to magazines touting the new 396. I have heard several times the rumer that car number 201 was a convertable built for a GM exec.

I don't think the Caprice came about untill 66? In all my years looking at cars for sale in papers, online, and magazines, I found there are a boat-load of 66 Caprice 4dr hdtps with the 396 out there.

Rock, How do you know that Fri the 26th could have been the last day for the 409? Could it be possible that the 409 inventory was used up on Mon or Tues the 29th or 30th?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Reading this thread got me to wondering about the 65 396 block I have so I went out to the shop to check the casting date and it is either C-31 or G-31-65. The first letter of casting date is hard to read. It must be a pass block as it is a 2 bolt. No assembly date as it had been decked after 8 sleeves were installed. I suspect someone thought they could bore it out to 427 specs and found out the hard way that it doesn't work.:doh

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Caprice

Bungy said:
I don't think the Caprice came about untill 66? In all my years looking at cars for sale in papers, online, and magazines, I found there are a boat-load of 66 Caprice 4dr hdtps with the 396 out there.

Rock, How do you know that Fri the 26th could have been the last day for the 409? Could it be possible that the 409 inventory was used up on Mon or Tues the 29th or 30th?

Bungy,
Caprice was introduced in mid-year 1965 as a highly upgraded four door sport sedan. It became it's own seperate series in 1966. '65 Caprices could be had with 283, 327 and 396 power plants, but not with 409.

To answer your question, production weeks at GM ran Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday would have been overtime days. Since April 1, 1965 would have been in the middle of the production week, any car produced that week would have had a 04A stamp on it's cowl tag. No 04A stamped cars came out of the St Louis plant equipped with 409 engine. So by that reasoning Friday, March 26th would have been the last possible day.

Rock :cool:

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rock, how were you able to determine the exact day your car rolled down the assembly line? I have the build sheet for my car and it has a oct. 17,1963 date on it, but I know it wasn't built then because the cowl tag has 11c for the body build date, which would be the third week of November. Is there another way to determine the actual day it rolled down the assembly line?

Poocho

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
uh oh....

Rock, how were you able to determine the exact day your car rolled down the assembly line? --------- Is there another way to determine the actual day it rolled down the assembly line?

I can see it coming.......

Today's Birthdays:

wrench (54) wrench's 62 Belair (44)

:roll :roll :roll :roll

Sorry, couldn't resist.....;)

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Close examination of all the clues

mpris said:
Rock, how were you able to determine the exact day your car rolled down the assembly line? I have the build sheet for my car and it has a oct. 17,1963 date on it, but I know it wasn't built then because the cowl tag has 11c for the body build date, which would be the third week of November. Is there another way to determine the actual day it rolled down the assembly line?

Poocho

Poocho,
You have to look closely at all of the date stamps on the various parts that are on the car that have such stampings on them. The engine in this case is not the tell tale clue. The clues you need to look for are on the protecto-plate and stamped in the trans, rear, alternator case, frame and so on... In my case, here is the pertinent information on my protecto-plate

Month of Manufacture: X = March, 1965
Paint Code: KK = Artesian Turquoise
Interior Code: H = White Vinyl
PS/PB Code: 3 = Equipped with PS AND PB
Wiper Code: 1 = Two-speed wiper motor, with washer
A/C Code: 1 = Harrison, Four-Season Air Conditioning
Radio Code: 6 = Delco 986101 AM/FM push-button radio, with rear speaker
Carburetor Code: R = Rochester 4GC
Engine Code: T0205JE = Tonawanda 409 V8, 340 HP Friday, February 5, 1965
Trans Code: T0323H = Toledo Heavy Duty Powerglide Tuesday, March 23, 1965
Rear Code: DH0324G = HD 12-bolt, Posi-Traction, 3.31:1 ratio, Detroit Gear
Wednesday, March 24, 1965

My cowl tag is stamped 03D, which is the fourth production week of March
(March 22-26, 1965)

Most all of the stamped parts on the car are stamped C-23 and C-24 with the absolutely latest date stamp being C-24 (Wednsday, March 24, 1965) The car still had to undergo final assembly and pass quality control before leaving the plant, which would have been the following day. In other words, Thursday March 25th, 1965

Rock :cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I say put it to rest !!!

You have the last car a 409 was installed in !!!:brow

At least untill someone else steps up with another documented car,,,,

And that will be hard to do as your numbers indicate !!!:cheers :cheers