Carpet / floor covering

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there any source for the vinyl/carpet combination that covered some '61 Bel Airs from the factory? I have one with Red Vinyl or rubber in the floor well sections and red salt and pepper carpet on the humps. It's all made together (not carpet with rubber floor mats thrown on top....it is attached as one piece and is original....but rotten. I've never seen another like it. Only all carpet or all cheap rubber floor mats like in a biscayne.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there any source for the vinyl/carpet combination that covered some '61 Bel Airs from the factory? I have one with Red Vinyl or rubber in the floor well sections and red salt and pepper carpet on the humps. It's all made together (not carpet with rubber floor mats thrown on top....it is attached as one piece and is original....but rotten. I've never seen another like it. Only all carpet or all cheap rubber floor mats like in a biscayne.

I have the exact same thing in my 61' Bel-Air but fawn. Has the same disign on the rubber floor as the door panels. I talked to Phil Reed as to the availability and no such luck. Going to have to go with all carpet...:bang:bang:bang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Couldn't you get the rubber mat (assuming somebody makes that), cut the tunnel out and have the salt and pepper carpet sewn in?
I'd just do carpet myself.:dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Couldn't you get the rubber mat (assuming somebody makes that), cut the tunnel out and have the salt and pepper carpet sewn in?
I'd just do carpet myself.:dunno

Cecil, That is not possible either. No one makes a Bel-Air rubber mat. The only part of the entire floor covering that is carpet is the humps front to rear and the design is just like the door panel. You can kind of see it in this pic.

Attachments

• 61' Bel-Air Dash.jpg
    61' Bel-Air Dash.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 48

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right......they are just like the ones on your car with the pattern that matches the door panels. The other rubber floor coverings (if they are available...never checked) used in Biscaynes, etc is very plain and nothing at all like the Bel Air ones. In my opinion the Bel Air rubber/carpet combo with the Bel Air patterns molded in look classier than the full carpet used on Impalas. Not to mention it should be more durable and easier to keep clean. The ones I have are in a parts car......I wish I had removed them years ago as they are very rotten now. Most people I've told about it said I was mistaken and they weren't made. Was this a '61 Bel Air only thing? Was it an option....or did all Bel Airs come standard like this and have been replaced with carpet over the years? :dunno