Drag Racing at Namao

slarsen

Way back in the early 60's at Namao, just north of Edmonton there was drag racing at the air strip.

I remember two very strong 409 4 speed cars. There was a light blue 62 chevy and an orange 55 chevy.

Anyone remember these cars, who were the owners, any pictures or other info?

slarsen

I received an email identifying Ray Hamans (an Edmonton Motors car salesman) as the driver of the 62 and Dale Armstrong as the driver of the 55.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Come on, Your teasing us. PIcs or more info. This sounds pretty cool. We want to know! Anyway share more of what you are talking about.

The orange 55 Chevy...
If I'm not mistaken, that car ended up getting painted purple.
It had the engine set back about 5". straight axle, tilt front end.
Just PLAIN COOL !
I had an opportunity to buy it for $3500 in late 1987. Engine had a spun bearing. Was a truck block, with EVERYTHING else high perf car, using a radical Crower cam, TH400 trans, and I believe an early Olds/Pontiac rear.
Not sure WHY I never pursued it:dunno

7 years later, I ended up with the engine...in pieces.... for a few days anyhow.
My house was broken into, and someone stole all the parts of value... and went in my garage, on the other side of a friends truck, on the floor, were eight oily pistons.... .030" over TRW 11:1, with rods ( in 1994, THAT was a big deal ! )... they took them too... nothing else.

God, its' good to not be around Edmonton anymore:bow

Anyhow, if I'm not mistaken, that car ended up getting a "retro" restoration, with a nasty BBC, and the car was painted red.

We KNOW who Dale Armstrong is:bow !

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
55 chevy,in about 1970 the car was for sale in Calgary with a 348 trypower bought by a guy naimed Hammel. He broke the motor and put in a 301 and painted it white.The last time I saw the car it was in small town on hyway 22 north of Calgary(its not there now).It had rad hoses over the home made head rests,radius wheel wells,painted dark(maybe purple).This was state of the art in the late 60s and early 70s.