floor pan experience

macpeppers

Well Known Member
my 63 HT need all 4 floor pans, the section under the seats is good. would i get a better finished product if i installed 4 individual floor pans or 2 full length floor pans

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've only replaced Tri-5 floor pans. Those are very good re-pops. Replacing the lower section where your feet rest is very easy and with excellent fitting re-pops it looked very good. So, if the quality of the re-pops for your year are good then I would recommend replacing just the "foot" section. If that's the area you are refering too.

macpeppers

Well Known Member
that's where i'm talking about, the foot area. i just thought it might be better to have fewer pieces. i've never put any floor pans in. i'm presuming they lap weld in and the lap is visiable from underneath. is this correct? thanks

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
that's where i'm talking about, the foot area. i just thought it might be better to have fewer pieces. i've never put any floor pans in. i'm presuming they lap weld in and the lap is visiable from underneath. is this correct? thanks

With excellent fitting pans I have over lapped them about 1/2" weld on the inside, carpeting material covers all that up. On the underneath, not trying to 100% hide the repair. The fit would be near perfect and tight. I just caulked the seam and spayed undercoating to mask the line. Virtually un-noticeable, especially considering it's under the car.
Of course if you're trying to make it appear as if a repair was never made, you would need to precisely butt them and do some good metal work. Or replace the entire floorpan. A lot more work.

bobs409

Administrator
I've always been told to only replace the metal that's needed and leave as much of your original as you can. This applies to any part of the car. Original metal is the best.

Also, that way, you have less of a Taiwan Chevy. :rolleyes: