Getting ready.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Time to relax and look at todays progress.

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 104
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 108
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 105
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 109
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 108

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Lookin' good!

Ray, I'm especially jealous of the space you've created. And you have the right stuff to fill it up!

Congrats on making progress in preparation for Clay City :).

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That engine already looks fast! :beerbang Looks like it'll be making some noise soon. I can't wait to see how she runs when you get to Clay City.:deal

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I was in the garage all day today, had mixed results. While bead blasting the intake I heard a loud "POP". When I looked in the direction of the pop I saw a shower of sparks coming from the compressor. I don't know what damage was done but it must be fatal! There is a hole in the main air feed line that comes from the compressor head and goes into the tank, Something went awry in the head and overheated the feed line and actually burnt a hole through it. That's when the shower of sparks started. I got it shut down and have another compressor that I borrowed off my nephew. Now I have to locate another compressor. Oh well back to work. I am into the dirty work now, cleaning, cleaning, painting, cleaning, painting, painting. I have the timing cover in place and the water pump. The front of the engine is painted. After bead blasting and cleaning the intake I have to decide what type and color of powder coating I will apply. I could use a powder coat called "Almost Chrome" ,"Argent Silver", or just clear powder coat. I am leaning toward the "Clear Coat". I have an Eastwood Powder Coating unit. It is supposed to warm up here this week. That means I can work some evenings. I have everything to make the engine air tight then comes the small stuff. I had a hardened imput shaft and drum sent from Art Carr in Texas for the tranny, when it got here the drum had been cracked in shipping. If not for that the tranny would be back together. New piece is on the way. Good times and bad times this weekend! :bang

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Getting ready

Ray
Looking good, but you better bolt the intake down before you put the oil pan on, or it will fall off when you turn the motor over.:doh

Was out for a test and tune yesterday at ATCO with some of the Nostalgia
Super stocks. Good cool air, off the trailer went a 10.595 at 124.27 with a little sudder in the traps.
Next time run get ready for this,10.503 at 123.38 with a 1.422 60 foot.
That's the quickest 60 foot ever.
The club set up a ladder for eliminations, got paired with Stephanie DiMino who drives a 66 Chevy that runs 9.30. I dialed the Blue Screamer to a 10.49.
Had a .047 to a .054 for Steph, on a 500 pro tree, both of the cars slowed up, hers to a 9.435 to my 10.609. got to the strip first .0235 before her, a win is a win. You could feel the air moving as she was went by me at finish line. What a rush.:)
next run dialed a 10.55, launched hard had a 1.438 60 foot, but had a senior moment. and missed 3rd gear. Most likely would have broke out anyway.
Such is life.:bang
Got to get it little quicker, if possible so it will run 10.50's in the heat.

Looking forward on hearing results of your first test and tune.
Allen

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
missed gear?

Allen, I don't understand. How did you miss 3rd gear. Aren't you using a Turbo 400??????? I've never used one, so maybe I don't understand the set-up. Good runs, though. Didn't I see you go 10.47 at Cecil last fall?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
Allen, I don't understand. How did you miss 3rd gear. Aren't you using a Turbo 400???????

:eek: :eek:

Good going Allen !!!!! :clap

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Getting ready

Fred
Yes I did go quicker last fall. But this is the new motor.:) I'm still sorting out the setup on the engine. Still playing with jetting. and timing retard on the launch. I was hoping that it would have been quicker this spring, so it would run 10.50's in the heat. That 1.422 sixty foot is pretty inpressive considering
that this brick weight 3960 with me inside. Had to add some steel to the frame after I broke the lower control bracket off the frame last fall. Also did some design changes on the upper control arm mounting and reinforcements of the mid plate.
That third gear thing was a SENIOR MOMENT :dunno I been known to do that once in awhile.
Just wait till you get to be my age. Problem is you won't tell us that you had one of these MOMENTS.:roll :roll :roll :roll
Allen

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One fast 409

"Just wait till you get to be my age. Problem is you won't tell us that you had one of these MOMENTS. "
Allen

Problem is I won't remember having it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll This Sunday, I'm hiding my own Easter Eggs. We'll see how many I find.:dunno

I think I'm only a couple months behind you, anyway. You just learn faster than me. I'm still trying to catch up. Time is running out, too. Might not make it. I'll just have to watch you go fast!