Glass identification

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been trying to find the answer to is this the original glass in my 62. All the side and rear glass seems original and is LOF but the front is a PPG brand and I’m not having much luck on the research. Here is a picture of the markings on the glass. 357A8572-3427-4FB5-8881-ED742FE95115.jpeg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes that is clearly on the glass. I’m having trouble with the date codes. I can find them for the LOF glass but struggling with the PPG codes. All my other glass is dated correctly but I’m curious if this is original or replacement.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just curious as what leads you to that Mike? From what I can find gm used both PPG and LOF glass so that’s why I was curious if it’s original or replacement. I am going to replace it due to condition and want to get the correct markings put on the new one when I do.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
AS-2 ( on every piece of glass) - layout like your picture for side glass

AL = Sept 1961
YL = Oct 1961
CL = Nov 1961
VL = Dec 1961
NI = Jan 1962
XI = Feb 1962
LI = Mar 1962

I thought I had more codes

some of my old glass had these codes 62 SS convertible
UL ( this is a 1961 code) - vent glass
GL ( this is a 1961 code) - Drs 1/4 glass
IL ( this is a 1961 code) - pass 1/4 glass
TL ( this is a 1961 code) - pass door glass
AL = Sept 1961 - Drs door glass
all five of these codes were on my 62 SS convert built 3rd week of Oct 1961

Paul

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This came from the crg website and it should answer any questions about lof and ppg codes

The first photo is of the windshield that was in the convertible the second is of the windshield from auto city glass that they etched for me
LC is March of 63 and 10 is the plant code for Lathrop Calif,my car is a late March of 63 built at the Van Nuys factory.
I would think you would want to go with a lof logo.
If you give auto city your build date they can figure it out for you.Have you had any luck with them getting more in that they can etch?
IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
These are the vent and side glass codes on mine
I think I read somewhere that the vent and side glass was produced at one lof factory and shipped to each Chevrolet factoryIMG_1795.jpegIMG_1796.jpeg

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Rick. When I was searching yesterday I might have been using too specific of key words so didn’t see that site. I have called a few times and keep getting told after the first of the year they are supposed to have them so in a few weeks I will call again. I was trying to get all my ducks in a row so when I do call I have all the correct information for them to etch it properly. My car was built October 25 1961 at the Van Nuys plant.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don’t know about 61’s but on my 63 the etching is facing the inside or backwards from the outside.They are very knowledgeable there,so if you give them your build date I’m sure they can help you.