Glove Box Question

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
OK, lads - I can't get my glove box open, no way, no how, no key.
How can I manage to open it and replace the closing/locking mechanismo?

Cheers
SoT

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Glove Box Door

Sot: You don't say what year your car is. Since the hinges are on the inside, you will probably have to cut a large enough hole in your inner compartment, to get inside and loosen the screws. If you ruin it, no big deal. At least you'll get the door off. Skip:)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pry the top open a bit, carefully, then insert a small angled pick to push down the lock pin thingy,, pulling out at the same time,,,

Good luck,,

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
If the only problem with the mechanism is no key, a locksmith can easily make one.

Thanks - another Austinite, I see.

The car in question is a '61. I was hoping to do this without pulling the aftermarket A/C unit, or any of that torch-and-plasma stuff. Regarding the key - why wouldn't the ignition key work? It works on all the other locks.

I think I'll try pushing the "the lock pin thingy".

Thanks, all.

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
SOT, If I remember right.. I think the trunk key and the glove box key are the same like the ignition key and the door key is. That is... if they are the stock keys and not aftermarket. Have you tried that?? :scratch

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
SOT, Nevermind my last post. Rereading yours, tells me that you (or someone) had all the locks changed to ONE key so, your trunk lock isn't the same as it was from the factory (i.e. the same as the glovebox). GM cars had two seperate keys (one that fit the doors and Ign. -Octagonhead- and the other for the trunk and glovebox Clovehead. If these have been changed then the course you're on will work.;)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SOT, Nevermind my last post. Rereading yours, tells me that you (or someone) had all the locks changed to ONE key so, your trunk lock isn't the same as it was from the factory (i.e. the same as the glovebox). GM cars had two seperate keys (one that fit the doors and Ign. -Octagonhead- and the other for the trunk and glovebox Clovehead. If these have been changed then the course you're on will work.;)

I could be wrong but,, should that be,
The door, trunk and glove box locks all use the same key.
The ignition is seperate and only works on the ignition,,,

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
As it is now, the ignition key opens the trunk and door locks - but not the glove box.
There is another key on the ring with a round (as opposed to square) head, and it doesn't work on anything.

This car has only been in my possession for a couple of weeks, so I don't know her all that well yet.

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
dq409, There might have been a change to what GM did in the mid 60's but, when I restored my 62 Imp. I found that the glovebox lock and the trunk lock had the same code. (That was the case for the two 57 chevy's I did as well). The locksmith had some knowledge of those era cars too and said that having the cars keyed that way (Octagonhead/Clovehead) was common to him. In fact.. he had the OE key blanks!

kingudaroad

Call Shane at Central Lock and Key here in Austin. He made one for my 61 Impala for I think 40 bucks. It works the glove box and trunk. 512-335-0190

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
Prised it open, carefully - it really doesn't wanna. The lock wasn't the problem. Guess the parts are just OLD.

Thanks, all.