Have Pony will travel

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Fancy car! A four speed tripower car in GP trim had to be a pretty rare build back in the day :). Is it original?

Either way, a nice addition to the stable of current cars :).

Cheers!
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Fancy car! A four speed tripower car in GP trim had to be a pretty rare build back in the day :). Is it original?

Either way, a nice addition to the stable of current cars :).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom,
I haven't gotten the PHS docs yet but the motor code shows it to have originally been a 303 horse 4 speed. That would be a four barrel and the original AFB carb is in the trunk . The tri power was added somewhere along the line. I need to find an original breather for it. I'm going to replace the seat covers but the side panels are original and look great. The old car is like riding down the road in a rocking chair, jet smooth. I think they made about 5100 4 speed GP's. Not a lot considering they built 75000 GP's in 63.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I remember being a kid in the back seat of my Dad's 1962 Impala convertible and pulling up next to a new 1963 GP at a stop light. I saw the quarter panel script and (being 12 years old at the time) asked my Mom what a "Grand Pricks" was :). They laughed heartily and told me the correct pronunciation :). I went on to win the Spelling Bee at my school later that year...

My big brother had a 1962 Gran Prix that I coveted, it was Black over White buckets and 8 lugs, I'd love have one of those :).

I guess I'm gonna have to settle for a 1961 Bonneville...

Cheers!
TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,
I haven't gotten the PHS docs yet but the motor code shows it to have originally been a 303 horse 4 speed. That would be a four barrel and the original AFB carb is in the trunk . The tri power was added somewhere along the line. I need to find an original breather for it. I'm going to replace the seat covers but the side panels are original and look great. The old car is like riding down the road in a rocking chair, jet smooth. I think they made about 5100 4 speed GP's. Not a lot considering they built 75000 GP's in 63.

It was a lot of 4 speeds compared to how many they built in 60. Nice car Tommy, pretty neat and rare. BTW, do you own any automatics, other than your modern stuff?

Don

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
It was a lot of 4 speeds compared to how many they built in 60. Nice car Tommy, pretty neat and rare. BTW, do you own any automatics, other than your modern stuff?

Don

Don,
No, all of my collector cars are 4 speed cars. Other than my 61 Impala SS the 60 Pontiac is the rarest thing I have. Pontiac built 722 4 speed cars in 1960 but if you factor in my 60 was special ordered with a non available paint the 60 Pontiac is the rarest. Could be one of one

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
Love how you find all the 4-Speed cars out there Tommy.

Another cool car to your collection.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice looking rig Tommy, I like the 63 better then 64. What is the clear box on the passenger inner fender?:dunno

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
.....as usual Tommy a beautiful addition to your remarkable fleet.......:bow
.....noticed you haven't added it to your signature yet.......:dunno........you are going to keep it right....:rub

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
.....as usual Tommy a beautiful addition to your remarkable fleet.......:bow
.....noticed you haven't added it to your signature yet.......:dunno........you are going to keep it right....:rub
BJ,
I probably won't keep it long, I need to get rid of some cars, I don't have any working room and was going to sell the Jeep for starters but didn't gain any space because of taking the trade.