help info needed

gropos

i own a 1962 chevy impala ss and i have decoded the car to a v8 but how can i tell what v8 was originally in my car?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
gropos, You can't , for sure. There are many clues, but all can be reproduced . There are tons of threads on this subject. Use the search feature and you can read for hours. Welcome to the forum. :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
fender badges?

If your vehicle is fairly complete and you know it to be original, then the chromed pot metal badge just ahead of the front tires (on the fenders) will tell you something. The V8s that year included the 283, the 327, and that special 409 :).

The 283 fender badging looks the simplest, and has no crossed flags. The 327 had the crossed flags. Could be a 250 or a 300 horse variety if it was a 327. The 409 looks just like the 327 crossed flags, but include the numerical "4 0 9" just below that flag.

Hope yours is fairly original. That's the easiest way to tell. Mind you, the positions of the holes are the same as far as I know, so someone could have easily replaced these over time.

Good luck!

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
I would also look at the fuel line size. If 5/16", then it indicates a 283. 3/8" would indicate a 327.