Horsepower dyno numbers.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This doesn't have anything to do with W engines but I thought it was amazing. I have been doing work for a machine shop that builds engines and dynos engines. I am a glorified janitor and he is doing machine work for me in exchange for my hours. He built a SB2 Chevy engine for a Lola sports car [looks like a La Mans type sports car] and it put out 862 HP at 8200 rpm. I am amazed at some of the numbers some of these engines put out. Most of the engines he builds are blown and they put out 2500 to 3000 hp. He will have a drag boat in today that has a blown shotgun F##d engine that he said puts out 2500 hp. Can you imagine having 2500 hp on the water:eek: . I would like to know what that Lola will do, it weighes 2700 lbs. Anyway I don't know if those numbers impress you guys but they sure do me.:clap Roy

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Roy, The numbers absolutely impress me. Even more impressive is how you landed the perfect " part time" job. Must be fun to go to work everyday. :) :clap

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Roy, thats pretty neat. How about when SPEED TV had that dyno match between Lamars 409/409 compared to the 427 F*^% and 426 "street hemi supposedly all in factory specs. 409 made like 407hp but 427 made like 527hp and 426 made 820HP. I thinks Lamar was the only legitt factory parts, what you guys think?:deal
Ray

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Now thats a dam sweet part time job. If only we could all be so lucky. Great numbers also. Hope to get some numbers from your engine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Job?

Hell, if I could find a job like that. I'd go back to work in a (California) Flash.:roll My wife has been hoping and praying, that I get out of her hair soon.:doh Oh, maybe next year.:yawn: Skip:)

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Speed Chan Dyno horsepower/torque:

409/409 Chevy: 406/430
427 Chevy BB: 527/501
421 SD Pontiac: 488/470
427 Ford: 637/554
426 Hemi: 820/629

Rick

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Roy: I think you have a great job. I would enjoy "hanging around the shop" like we used to hang around the speed shop parts store in the 60's and knowing what I know now. Heck in next year's calendar I expect we will see a big scoop on a blower on the 58:roll :roll Enjoy yourself alot better then my County Comissioners meeting today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Roy, an educated guess using numerous calculators puts the Lola at about a mid 8 second 1/4 mile pass at around 160mph. Now if you took that F**d engine at 2500hp and slipped it in the Lola, it just might break into the 5's at over 228mph. Those calculators are fun to play with.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Speed Chan Dyno horsepower/torque:

409/409 Chevy: 406/430
427 Chevy BB: 527/501
421 SD Pontiac: 488/470
427 Ford: 637/554
426 Hemi: 820/629

Rick

According to my inside info ALL those engine were to be stock configured,,,,
Lamar,, bless his little heart,,, was the only one who built a stock engine,,,

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
I don't know as much about engines as most of you but I do know what some of the NASCAR engines were reported to be. Rex White said his 1962 409 put out about 425 horsepower (single 4bbl carb.). The Mk II was about a 100 horsepower more---in the 520 range. The '62 Pontiac 421 has been reported to have about 465 horsepower. If you judge all this by track performance it doesn't seem too far off. The '63 Ford 427 was stronger than the 421 Pontiac but not as powerful as the Mk II 427 so the Ford probably had a little under 500 horsepower but close to it. At the '64 Daytona 500 the Dodge, Plymouth 426 Hemi was about 10 mph faster than the Mk II Chevy was in 1963 so that indicates 600 or more horsepower. By 1967 the 427 Ford (with 2 X 4bbl. carbs) in the smaller Fairlane body was equal to the MOPARS in track performance. By 1967 both the Hemis and Ford 427 were probably over 600.

The Rex White horsepower info is from Rex White's book: GOLD THUNDER.

Rick

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went with Gary today to another shop. Gary builds injector setups for this guy whose name is Dave. He has all kinds of engines in various stages of builds. Some are monsters and some are tiny. He is building a Crosley engine for a customer who holds the record for Crosleys at Bonneville. The head and cylinders are one unit with a Crosley and you can pick the engine up and put it under one arm and walk off with it. Anyway I was looking at the crankshaft and I said this is a billit crank. And Dave said he made it on his cnc Bridgeport I was asking him a few questions about balance etc. and he got into some deep math calculations about counterweights and spinning mass until my eyes glazed over. He ran me off some papers and said for me to study them. He said an engine should be so much in balance that it will put no stress on bearings except the firing load on the piston. This shop is behind his house and if you saw it from the road you would not know it had anything to do with engines. I am just amazed at all this stuff is right around me and I didn't know it was there. He said you could take a cast crank to 10,000 rpm if it is balanced right. I sure wish that I had run into these people a long time ago. Oh and the Boat does 180mph in the 1/4 on alcohol. The Lola engine was on race gas. The guy with the boat has a big Peterbuilt rig that he has a small SUV and pulls the boat in and an elevator puts it up above and it has living quarters in the front. I saw that and really felt poverty stricken.:roll Roy