How much horsepower?

cspangler

I am new here so I will ask a few questions now and then. My Dad and I are building a truck 409 for our 61 Belair. We had it bored.060, put in Ross 11.1 pistons, have an isky .515 lift cam, scorpions roller rockers , 348 1147 2.07 heads topped off with the stock 348 manifold from the 305hp engine and a holley 750cfm carb. My question is: How much Horsepower do you think we are putting out? Do we need to do anything different to get to 400 hp? Thanks.

cspangler

Thanks for responding and the link to the thread. My cams duration @050 is.234. We are still trying to find the best headers. We will probably end up going with what showcars has to offer.

Spangler... need not do much searching for headers. There IS no better than what Show Cars is selling ( and no, I am NOT a Show Cars employee:p ... hardly:roll ).

Your combination sounds GREAT:deal... though I'm thinking that the camshaft profile may be a bit "dated". More torque, right across the board, would be attained if a higher lift, quicker ramp ( duration is ideal ) modern lobe was used.
Just a thought:dunno

cspangler

Aubrey, you have been a big help to us. I have e-mailed you a few times. Do you think with the set-up we have that it would be close to 400hp? We are going with the stock 348 intake. I don't think there are any aftermarket 4BBL intakes out there for a 409. Our cam is not too bad is it?

no no... not a BAD cam... just old technology.
You were lucky to have one of those intake manifolds... it IS the aluminum one, yes ?
I think you would need cutting edge valve train and those headers in order to get near the 400 HP figure... After building my Stocker engine, I got reality check on how difficult it is to make real honest dyno numbers.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Speaking Of Cams!

Aubrey: This summer I plan on resurrecting my 64- 409 QB engine. Its more or less been in moth balls, since around 1972. Luckily I had the hindsight to keep it all in usable condition. Its a stock bore 55,000 mile motor. At the time (3) kids and a mortgage kind of put the 8 mpg 409 in the attic. Anyhow, my question is, what is your opinion on using a Z-11 cam with 1.74 in. height The one I have still looks like new. I know it was a strip cam, with its high rpm curve. I MAY race once in a while on the street (only if provoked):rolleyes: Would you use this cam, or go for something different. Your knowledge of 409's is next to none. :bow THANKS Skip

skipxt4 said:
Aubrey: Your knowledge of 409's is next to none. :bow THANKS Skip

:eek: :bow ...
oh, Skip, there are some guys here who know WAY more than me:bow :deal :p

I DO do cams though....

That Z11 cam is pretty vicious.... but again, an old design. I'd suggest a modern profile with similar lift ( around .560", maybe .580" ), but shorten the duration a bit, from the 250 @ .050", to 240-246 maybe. Again, try to get a quick ramp ( indicated by a short advertised duration )... ground on a 110 centre line.
You will need at least a 1.75" installed spring height in order to use that Z11 cam ( .556" lift ) or higher lift. If you have "583" heads, you're already there.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Skip.... I just know how to type;) ( 3 fingers now )

cspangler

Why does it seem like it is so hard to squeeze Horsepower out of these engines? I watched Horsepower TV over the weekend and saw them take a 401 AMC block, bore it .060 put in a cam similiar in lift to mine, had the heads done to 2.08 intake, installed roller rockers,an aluminum 4bbl manifold and a 950 cfm carb. The engine dynoed out to 497 horsepower. It does not seem like my upgrades and theirs are that different.

I can think of two words, Spangler:

Aftermarket heads
( see the other thread:deal ).

My $20,000+ Stocker race engine made 508 @ 6400
With Rich's intake, it would easily reach 550.

The enemy ?
I see the 14 pound piece of aluminum feces that we bolt the carbs to. :bang

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Aubrey,
I sent you an email, hope you get it and have time to read it.

thanks

cspangler

Aubrey thanks again for enlightening me on the 409. My feces is not even aluminum, its Iron!! Would a 2x4 offenhauser set up with 500 cfm carbs be better? I have seen on other threads where most prefer a single 4bbl. But given the nature of my manifold which would be the best to use? Thanks.

Yes Tommy, I got it.... made me have to think this morning:cuss :roll

EEEWWWWWW:eek: , Spangler... your feces is iron ?:eek:

I like the "high" Offy 2X4, :deal . Pair of 500's would be good.

As has been mentioned, a "Performer RPM" / Torker style aftermarket intake for single carb, would be a VERY welcomed commodity:bow :beerbang

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CDNpontiac409guy said:
The enemy ?
I see the 14 pound piece of aluminum feces that we bolt the carbs to. :bang

:roll :roll OZ,, You just have a way with words !!!!:brow :roll