Master cylinder question

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Well, I put the body on my frame tonight and the brand new chrome power brake booster will not fit!!! (It's a 9")

I may be missing the point here, but from the picture I can see the brackets between the booster and firewall are reversed. That is, the left side should be on the right and visa virsa. I have the exact setup with 4 wheel disc on my 64. The booster and master is thrusting upward at about a 10-15 degree angle. This provide the clearance needed for the valve cover.

If I missed the point, forget it, I'm getting old.:bow

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I put the body on my frame tonight and the brand new chrome power brake booster will not fit!!! (It's a 9")

I may be missing the point here, but from the picture I can see the brackets between the booster and firewall are reversed. That is, the left side should be on the right and visa virsa. I have the exact setup with 4 wheel disc on my 64. The booster and master is thrusting upward at about a 10-15 degree angle. This provide the clearance needed for the valve cover.

If I missed the point, forget it, I'm getting old.:bow

His are installed correctly. You can reverse left and right side as the bolt pattern is symetrical and allows that but it doesn't effect the tilt of the booster.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I told that kid to ditch the booster and go manual. Plenty of brakes for that little small block. Stubborn kid never listens to me. :bang :bang

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I told that kid to ditch the booster and go manual. Plenty of brakes for that little small block. Stubborn kid never listens to me. :bang :bang

If his vacuum is too low it'll be a pain to drive regardless of the booster. If his vacuum is high enough and he is set on the 9" I can take care of the brackets, I have one set up that lifts the booster about 1.5" or so.
My 58, as it turns out, has only 11" vac. brakes worked Ok at speed (high vac situation) but the last 30 feet or so they would fade away, kind of scary. You had to push down harder since you're essentially on manual brakes now that the vac is non-existent. I installed a vac pump that turns on at 20" and off at 25" of vac, WOW what a difference! The discs work like the car only weighed 1500lbs! I never thought this disc set up could stop so well.
The only draw back to the pump is the noise. Sounds pretty much like a loud fuel pump. If you have some decent mufflers, which I think most gear heads do (loud) you can't hear the pump inside the car, only standing outside of it.
I've had 4 whl manual set ups that I didn't care for the feel, usually too spongy. But every one has a different opinion.
Brian check the vac and let me (us) know.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Why not change the valve covers to a factory height cover , if you don't have a stud girdle it's an easy solution !! :dunno

Had this problem last winter when i put factory booster on a 67 corvette w/ a hot rod small block. I put the steel covers on it , looked better in my opinion.

Merry Christmas everyone !! :clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why not change the valve covers to a factory height cover , if you don't have a stud girdle it's an easy solution !! :dunno

Had this problem last winter when i put factory booster on a 67 corvette w/ a hot rod small block. I put the steel covers on it , looked better in my opinion.

Merry Christmas everyone !! :clap

I am running stud girdles, so I cannot change the covers.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not dead set on a 9" booster, and I don't like the feel of standard brakes.

I am going to keep it the way it is right now and see if I can deal with them as standard. If not, I will most likely go with a dual 7" and get a pump. I like to know I can stop dead if needed. I'll see how it goes once I get the car driveable and take it from there.

Mike- I'll do a vac test and let you know what it is by the weekend

Thanks for all the help on this
Brian