Missing Vin Tag On Inside Of Door......

Is It A Real Big Problem? The Vin On The Frame Matches The Vin # In The Pink Slip And Everthing Is Legit. The Car Has A Washington Title, Would It Be Hard To Register Here In California With It Missing That Tag?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Who's checking?

In Illinois nobody checks anything. Fill'er out and mail it in. Done deal. Door tag could be done in crayon and no one would ever know.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Is It A Real Big Problem? The Vin On The Frame Matches The Vin # In The Pink Slip And Everthing Is Legit. The Car Has A Washington Title, Would It Be Hard To Register Here In California With It Missing That Tag?

In CA , when you try to reg it, the DMV will require you to take the car to CHP auto theft guys. They will go over the car and probably not find the hideout number because the officers are younger than the car and have never done one of these old Chevys. They are good on Toyotas and Hondas!

They will look in the files and finally find old secret books that list the locations. They learn it requires cutting out the floor to see the top of the frame.

Hopefully, they will elect not to destroy the car. After you waste three hours, they will sign it off and you return to DMV. They will collect the fees and the issue a special stick-on foil CA ID tag number for replacement of the VIN number.

If the car has collector value, the replacement ID tag will scare off many buyers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Don't ask Don't tell

Don't open a can of worms. File the forms and pay the money. When you get the title in your name you can fiddle with the tags.

bobs409

Administrator
I agree! Don't ask for trouble as long as they won't look for it.

Here in Pa, they don't check for a VIN tag. The paperwork is done without the car even present.

These tags were not riveted on, just 2 very small tack welds so I'm sure many have fallen off over the years. Mine had 2 rust blisters under it and practically fell off as well. (it's in the ashtray now) :D

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I agree! Don't ask for trouble as long as they won't look for it.

Here in Pa, they don't check for a VIN tag. The paperwork is done without the car even present.

:D

Bob:

This being the auto theft capital of the world, the Calif. DMV requires a physical verification by a DMV employee or peace officer of a proper & matching VIN tag on ALL out of state cars. It requires a sworn declaration that it was verified and is true and correct by the examiner. If the VIN tag is missing. it's a trip to the auto theft guy. Period.

As a matter of practice, the DMV verification employee is usually just a clerk that comes out from behind the counter and not possessing the snoop skills the auto theft guys have. If you can get it verified at that level, you are much better off.

I’m not even going to address making up a fake VIN tag. It is a felony in this state even it you own the car legally.

bobs409

Administrator
Bob:

This being the auto theft capital of the world, the Calif. DMV requires a physical verification by a DMV employee or peace officer of a proper & matching VIN tag on ALL out of state cars.

Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in California. :roll (no offense mean't)

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in California. :roll (no offense mean't)

Bob: No offense taken: Let me give you some other reasons for not wanting to live here:

30,000,000 people.
High taxes.
High cost of living.
Traffic congestion that has no equal.
Crummy roads.
Deeply polarized and infective state government.
One in three people here don’t speak English.
A failing educational system.
The health system is on the rocks. Most hospitals are losing money and ER room all over the metro areas are closing.
High crime rate.
Prison overcrowding so bad they are threatening to have mass releases of dangerous inmates.
Fires.
Earthquakes
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Reasons for living here:
Lot’s of beautiful women.
Nice weather.

It is a tough choice.. :doh :doh

bobs409

Administrator
LOL :roll

All true though. I'd love to have your weather and the women but you can keep the rest. I think it would be cool to see a few celebs now and then too while out driving. :)

When I was younger, it was a dream of mine to go to California but not anymore. :nono1:

I've been watching those house flipping shows alot on TV and am amazed at the cost of housing out there!!! Take an average house here in Pa. for $80,000 and put it on a piece of real estate in CA and get about $300,000 for the same house!

As for the crime and stuff, that's getting bad all over. Drugs are the root of the problem and we haven't seen anything yet. Our court systems are a complete joke! I'm lucky that I live in the "sticks" (actually coal lands) but eventually, that trouble is going to get here too.

Stay safe... :)

Bob

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been watching those house flipping shows alot on TV and am amazed at the cost of housing out there!!! Take an average house here in Pa. for $80,000 and put it on a piece of real estate in CA and get about $300,000 for the same house!

You ain't buying anything in SoCal for $300K!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL :roll

Bob

As delivery said,, You ain`t even gonna find a $300,00 house !!!

Maybe the pool house !!!:roll :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Missouri titles

In the State of Missouri, if a title exchanges hands and the vehicle is a Missouri title, all you need to do is sign it and go.

If, however, the title is from another state, the purchaser must get an "IDOD" form from a certified shop and that accompanies the request for new title. Basically the form requires that the VIN from the door tag (on our beloved Chevies) be in place. Not sure what happens if you don't have one of those...

I did use Broadway Titles out of Alabama once (a few year's back) and had to go through this process, as the Bill of Sale/Title was from another state. I recently transferred a title from Nebraska to Missouri, and went through the process with no hitches. Just another thing to do...

Good luck with yours!

TomK