One Piece Driveshaft For 58 Impala

boug58

Well Known Member
Can Someone Tell Me If I Can Put A One Piece Driveshaft In My 1958 Impala. I,am Having Alignment Problems, The Angle From The Center Carrier Bearing On The Driveshaft That Goes To The Trans Is To Much.
The Mechanic Is Telling Me That I Can Machine Down The Machine Surface Of The Center Carrier Bearing Alumium Housing About 3/4 Of A Inch. I Purchased On Of The Heavy Duty Center Carrier Bearings. Or He Says That Getting A One Piece Shaft Would Do The Trick. Where Can I Get A One Piece Shaft Already Made Up.
I Have The 348 With A 700r4 Trans And Factory Rear End In The Factory Location. Please Help Me Out. Thanks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
TOO long

The length of the shaft in one piece is too long for the diameter that fits into the tunnel. At speed the shaft will start whipping around. I used the Machined center bearing and went to a 3 piece drive shaft. Pictures here somewhere from about a month ago. Back half from the bearing back is a slide arrangment like on the big trucks. Talk to a driveshaft guy not a mechanic. Look at inland empire or dennys driveshafts for complete setups pretty cheap.

http://www.iedls.com/page4.html

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/weekly_specials.html

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the angle is off from the carrier bearing to the transmission, changing to a two piece shaft at the rear would not change the angle at the front would it. Sounds like you have the wrong carrier bearing (setting too high or the motor is too low at the rear).

Poocho

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Out of line drive pole

Did the 58 have two mounting holes for the rear trannie mount? You might check to see if you are in the right holes. I don't remember which is the required ones, but with your trannie, it might be different.
Ray, you are using a 700R4. Which rear trannie holes are you using?

51T409

Well Known Member
Fred more than likely those 2 holes are long gone, this man has a 700R4 overdrive in his car ,just ask your buddy Ray.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
rear mounts

I never have fooled with one of those. I guess you have to move the rear mount, or buy one ready to weld in????????????? All the cars I have had in those years were row your own. Never had an automatic. Seems wrong to let the thing shift itself.:dunno

Chip

I cut out the existing trany mount and reinstalled it.Farther back and lower. I don't think there is any other way to put a 700 r 4 in your car. And yes you have to use a 2 pice shaft. It makes for a real nice ride I can cruse at 70 mph @ about 22 rpm thats with a 4-10 rear. And first gear is so low that it just sits there and smokes the tires. Good move you will like it when it is done.